This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5329 / 53°31'58"N
Longitude: -1.4926 / 1°29'33"W
OS Eastings: 433726
OS Northings: 404141
OS Grid: SE337041
Mapcode National: GBR LW0L.N9
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.1GHH
Entry Name: Houndhill
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Last Amended: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333958
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Worsbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Worsbrough Common St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WORSBROUGH HOUND HILL LANE
SE30SW (south side)
1/79 Houndhill (formerly
listed as Hound Hill
Manor house. Wing dated 1566 otherwise of two C17 builds, extensively
renovated in 1934. Timber-framed wing, otherwise ashlar sandstone, stone slate
roof. H-plan. 2 storeys, partially with cellars and attics, 2 : 1 : 1 windows
to 1st floor. Narrow central recess has doorway on left with chamfered jambs
and deep lintel; double-chamfered cross-window on its right, 4-light mullioned
window over. Gabled wing on left has chamfered plinth and sashes with glazing
bars to each floor in altered double-chamfered surrounds, ground-floor dripmould
is cut back, lst-floor window on right is in position of former doorway. Shaped
kneelers and gable copings with renewed finials. Gabled wing on rights corner
posts flank c1934 6-light transomed window in ground-floor walling. Rendered
upper storey with coved apron to 5-light transomed window; coving beneath tie
beam of A-strut king-post truss with wall-plate ends set on shaped brackets, recut inscription 'R 1566 E' on tie beam, bargeboards with wooden finial. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks to each wing, stack to left on central ridge. Rear: similar. Chamfered ground-floor dripmould, inscription 'DAIRY' over window in ashlar wing. Exposed timber-framing to upper storey of C16 wing, tie beam inscribed 'LKE 1934 DWE'. Ashlar gable has base for diagonally-set end stack.
Right return: all but ground-floor-left wall has exposed timber framing. Door
between 2 posts which flank the ridge stack. Wooden 4-light transomed window on
right. Chevron struts above mid-rail, vertical studding and coving beneath two
lst-floor windows of 4-lights, that to left transomed. lst-floor mid-rail with
vertical studs above, 2-light window above door.
Interior: entrance hall has exposed framing of wing and ashlar fireplace;
balustraded dog-leg staircase incorporating some early work. Ashlar fireplaces
in framed wing and elsewhere in house, one has segmental arch. Much C17 panelling with guilloche and foliage frieze decorations. Home of the Elmhirst family, initials on front tie beam are those of Roger Elmhirst or his son Robert (d1618). Richard Elmhurst (d1653) fortified the house for his own family. Ashlar wing said to have been used as a wool store evidence of which would be the lst-floor gable doorway. Foundations of a C16-C17 dyeing and weaving workshop are exposed near the rear-right corner of the house. An additional date of 1606 was recorded in the 1934 renovation. Outstanding house of the region which, after a period of 250 years, has returned to the Elmhirst family.
S. R. Jones, 'Houndhill, Worsbrough', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980,
pp442-444 and plate III.
Listing NGR: SE3372604141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings