This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5219 / 53°31'18"N
Longitude: -1.1352 / 1°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 457433
OS Northings: 403149
OS Grid: SE574031
Mapcode National: GBR NWJQ.17
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.JQNX
Entry Name: Priory Methodist Church
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335072
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER PRINTING OFFICE STREET
SE 5703 SW (south side)
6/76 Priory Methodist Church
Methodist church. 1832 by William Hurst, with minor later alterations. Painted
ashlar and stucco with slate roof. Large galleried hall to rear of central.
hallway with side staircases. Two storeys, 5 bays. Plinth. Horizontal
rustication to ground floor, three central bays slightly advanced, taller central
bay flanked by recessed, narrower bays. Each bay has rusticated corner
pilasters; frieze, with triglyphs over the pilasters; moulded cornice and
blocking course; central bay with central anthemion. All have elaborately
panelled double leaf doors below panelled lintels and radial glazed fan lights,
set in semi-circular openings with rusticated voussoris. Side bays have unequal
hung 25 pane sashes below flat arches of rusticated voussoirs. Wide first
floor band and narrow sill band to 5 pilastered semi-circular headed windows
set in semi-circular headed recesses with C19 leaded glazing. Eaves band,
with plain frieze and moulded cornice over. Parapet has moulded plinth and
is stepped up over central 3 bays with long recessed panel inscribed 'Priory
Methodist Church', over this is a cornice with blocking course which is stepped
up to centre and inscribed 1832, central anthemion over. Side bay parapets
have smaller recessed panels and moulded copings. Hipped roof. Interior
has open well staircases to either side of hall with barley twist balusters.
Chapel has panelled gallery on all four sides with curved ends, supported
by thin cast iron columns. Apse to far end flanked by paired giant pilasters-.
Large original ceiling rose and medallioned cornice. Most of these features
now obscured by lower C20 ceiling. NMR photographs.
Listing NGR: SE5743303149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings