History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Barnby Dun, Doncaster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5806 / 53°34'50"N

Longitude: -1.0738 / 1°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 461419

OS Northings: 409730

OS Grid: SE614097

Mapcode National: GBR NWY1.B6

Mapcode Global: WHFF1.G8WD

Plus Code: 9C5WHWJG+6F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 5 June 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334902

Location: Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall, Doncaster, DN3

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall

Built-Up Area: Barnby Dun

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barnby Dun St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Barnby Dun


SE 60 NW WITH KIRK SANDALL (west side),
Barnby Dun
8/38 Church of St. Peter
5.6.68 and St. Paul


Church. Early C14 and C15; chancel rebuilt 1860 by Hadfield and Goldie.
Ashlar magnesian limestone, lead and slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled
nave with south porch, wider 3-bay chancel. Tower: Perpendicular; 3 stages.
Chamfered plinth, moulded band, full-height angle buttresses. String course
beneath 3-light west window having hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould
with head-carved stops; string courses below and above 2nd stage; 2-light
belfry windows with louvres and hoodmoulds with head-carved stops; string
course with north and south gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8
crocketed pinnacles. Navel Decorated; gabled porch to bay 2 with double-
chamfered arch springing from plainly-chamfered jambs, hoodmould with head-
carved stops; square sundial beneath coped gable; arch of inner door is
double-quadrant moulded and has hoodmould. Aisle has angle buttresses to
west and east and buttress between bays 3 and 4; 2- and 3-light windows with
reticulated tracery in chamfered, square-headed surrounds, animated gargoyles
beneath oversailing parapet with roll-moulded copings. Clerestorey: pointed
2-light windows with cusped and foiled lights; door to east. String course
with water spouts beneath parapet; steeply-pitched roof with east gable
copings. North aisle, similar to south aisle, has pointed, quadrant-moulded
north doorway and easternmost window of 3-lights with buttress to right
having crocketed-ogee niche. Chancel: buttresses to east angles and between
bays; south side has double-quadrant moulded priests' door and string course
beneath cusped and foiled 2-light windows with hoodmoulds and head-carved
stops. Moulded eaves cornice; steeply-pitched roof with roll-moulded east
gable copings and base for cross; pointed 5-light east window in same style
as south windows, the flanking buttresses having statue niches with
crocketed-ogee heads.
Interior: organ built across tall treble-chamfered tower arch. 4-bay aisle
arcades with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches;
crocketed, ogee recess at east end of north aisle north wall, window on left
has angels beneath brackets in the jambs. Tall quadrant-moulded and hollow-
chamfered chancel arch on keeled responds, that to south incorporating a
cylindrical stair-turret, Decorated 3-seat sedilia with cusped openings and
hoodmould springing from angels; matching piscina niche on left with bowl in
the head of an outstretched figure of a man. C19 roofs, Fittings:
Perpendicular font, octagonal with shield or leaf motifs. Octagonal wooden
pulpit with carved panels, probably C19; also C19 traceried, 8-panel reredos,
Monuments: two C19 wall monuments in north aisle, another to James Bruce
(d.1798) has woman with pelican and 3 young at her knee. beside a pedestal
with vase. In south aisle a C17 architraved stone plaque with skulls and
shields of arms, in memory of Roger Portington. On chancel north wall a
standing monument to Francis Gregory (d.1671) has 3 shields to its base and
foliage about an inscribed cartouche; set on wall above, a crest with
mantling and another stone with 3 cherubs' heads. To right a monument to Sir
Thomas Hodgson and daughter Frances (d.1732) of Bramwith Hall, by
Scheemakers, has their busts beside a sarcophagus surmounted by gadrooned

Listing NGR: SE6141709730

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.