This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5663 / 53°33'58"N
Longitude: -1.0815 / 1°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 460928
OS Northings: 408130
OS Grid: SE609081
Mapcode National: GBR NWW6.NB
Mapcode Global: WHFF1.CM7D
Plus Code: 9C5WHW89+G9
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334903
Location: Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall, Doncaster, DN3
Civil Parish: Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirk Sandall and Edenthorpe Church of the Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
Tagged with: Church building
SE 60 NW
BARNBY DUN WITH KIRK SANDALL
MOOR LANE (north side)
Church of St. Oswald
(formerly listed as at Sandall Parva)
Church. C12, C14 and C16 with later additions, restored 1864 (by J. M.Teale) and in 1935. Rubble and ashlar limestone, lead and tile roofs.
Two-bay aisled nave with south porch and truncated tower rising from aisle behind, C20 north vestry; two-bay chancel with larger two-bay north chapel.
Nave: C12 south aisle has large quoins and pebble-work to lower courses; 1864 porch to bay one with pointed arch and hoodmould beneath coped gable with cross; C12 south doorway within has a lightly-chamfered, two-order round arch having single order of columns with plain capitals; two-light window to bay two (renewed in 1864) has pointed arch and hoodmould with carved-head stops; end walls each have a small C12 window. Above bay one of aisle rises a single stage of tower added in 1828 but truncated in 1935, it has a two-light south window and corniced eaves to pyramidal roof with louvred gablets. West wall of nave (earlier C12) incorporates same herringbone courses above a C14 three-light west window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with weathered stops beneath gable quatrefoil. North aisle has buttresses flanking a two-light west window and two-light north window to east of C20 vestry which encloses a narrow triangular-headed doorway with hoodmould. Aisles under catslide roofs from nave with C19 kneelers and gable copings with apex crosses.
Chancel: C12, rewindowed C15 with cusped two-light south windows in chamfered, square-headed surrounds; three-light east window has panel tracery. String course beneath ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings and shallow east gable with cross.
Rokeby Chapel (to north) built soon after 1521: Perpendicular with cyma-moulded plinth and moulded band. East end, set forward, has diagonal buttresses and string course beneath restored and infilled five-light window with cusped lights and panel tracery beneath four-centred arch with hoodmould; heraldic shield beneath hollow string course carved with animals; embattled parapet with apex niche, (pinnacles removed). North side has diagonal west buttress and buttress between two four-light windows.
Interior: late C12 aisle arcades with half-round responds; octagonal piers and broad, square capitals to plain round arches; round-headed piscina in south aisle and complete embrasures to the C12 end windows; C19 roof. Chancel: double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on corbels; moulded and hollow-chamfered C15 arches from north aisle and from chancel into chapel which has altered niches flanking the east window, arcading of cinquefoiled blind panels on north wall and fine C16 roof with intricately-carved tie beams, bosses at each crossing and central pendant boss.
Fittings: cylindrical Norman font on two-step plinth. Excellent traceried wooden screens to west of chancel and chapel, the chancel screen of 3:2:3 divisions with crocketed, ogee panels to dado and central four-panel door with four-light tracery, the upper panels pierced; side panels set beneath small twin ogee canopies; main shafts with tiny figures in niches at the capitals; canopy has carved vinetrail and pierced cresting. The chapel screen similar but of 1:2:1 divisions.
Monuments in Rokeby Chapel: floor slabs include that to Thomas Rokeby (d.1669). Large marble wall monument on east wall to Thomas Rokeby (d.1621) has consoles with floral drops and cherubs head flanking a domed oval plaque with Latin inscription, cartouche over and open segmental pediment containing cartouche and mantling beneath draped urn. On north wall the tomb of Archbishop William Rokeby (d.1521) with foiled, four-panel base and canopy on shafts with foiled frieze and cresting; some inscribed brasses within. To its left a weathered C17 cartouche above marble plaque. On south wall a scrolled pedimented monument to William Rokeby (d.1662) has shield of arms over. Brasses: on east wall a plate with eight lines of verse which originally marked the burial spot of Archbishop Rokeby. Other brasses on floor to Thomas Boucher (d.1658) and wife Elizabeth (d.1677).
Stained glass: western north chapel window has jumbled C16 glass with incomplete figures of saints. Chapel built soon after the death of William Rokeby, Bishop of Meath, Archbishop of Dublin and Chancellor of Ireland and formerly a vicar of Kirk Sandal.
Church now in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund.
Council for Places of Worship Report ref. PM 821 (description and inventory).
P. F. Ryder, Saxon churches in South Yorkshire, County Archaeology Monograph No. 2, 1982 page 94 (plan).
Listing NGR: SE6092808130
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings