This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4786 / 53°28'42"N
Longitude: -1.0596 / 1°3'34"W
OS Eastings: 462508
OS Northings: 398396
OS Grid: SK625983
Mapcode National: GBR PX16.DR
Mapcode Global: WHFFF.PTMM
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334771
Location: Rossington, Doncaster, DN11
Civil Parish: Rossington
Built-Up Area: New Rossington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rossington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK69NW ROSSINGTON STATION ROAD
7/70 Church of St. Michael
5th June 1968
Church. C12 with mid C14 tower; mostly rebuilt 1844 by Clark of Leeds for
patron Sir James Brown. Magnesian limestone and sandstone ashlar, graduated
slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave with transepts; narrower chancel with
separately-roofed north vestry. Tower: magnesian limestone, 4 stages,
Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth and moulded band; diagonal west buttresses
with offsets; string courses between stages. Small west doorway in quadrant-
moulded surround with hoodmould beneath 3-light window with plain tracery in
similar surround; clock faces to short 3rd stage. Pointed 2-light belfry
openings with louvres, panel tracery and hoodmoulds; north and south
gargoyles to embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: sandstone;
rebuilt 1844 in Early English style on deeply-chamfered plinth. Gabled porch
to bay 1 encloses restored C12 south door having shafted jambs and beak-heads
beneath billeted hoodmould. West angles of nave have buttresses with
chamfered arrises and offsets from which rise pinacles with gablets. Impost
string course links lancet windows with shafted jambs, acanthus capitals and
moulded arches; beak-head corbel table at eaves. Gabled transepts, in same
style, have larger lancet windows to north and south. Gable copings, east
cross to nave. Chancel: lower, mid C19 in Norman and Early English styles.
Round-arched south door with shafted jambs and moulded arch beneath
voussoirs; C12-style 1-light window on right; buttresses, eaves corbels, east
window and east gable details as nave. Vestry has north door with shouldered
lintel and rectangular window on right.
Interior: tall, pointed tower arch with quadrant-moulded inner order. C19
nave and transept roofs of arch-braced trusses on carved stone corbels.
Excellent mid-C12 chancel arch has re-entrant jambs with short shafts and
half-round responds starting high up; respond capitals have corner masks and
entwined trail carving; arch has zig-zag to west and pelleted outer order
beneath carved and billeted hood. Font: plain pre-Conquest tub on chamfered
plinth and with cable-moulded rim. Pulpit: C15 on later foot; wooden,
octagonal with sides having 2 cusped lights beneath Perpendicular tracery;
raised lettering around top with name Richard Stancall (reputedly brought
from the old Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Doncaster). Stained glass: east
window of 1862 by J. B. Capronnier of Brussels. Wall monument in chancel by
Walsh and Lee of Leeds to James Brown of Harehills Grove, Leeds (d.1845);
another to James Brown of Rossington (d.1877).
N. Pevsner, B.O.E, 1967 ed; plate 17a
Parochial Church Council, A Home for God's family - St. Michael's,
Rossington, Church guide.
Listing NGR: SK6250898396
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings