This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5233 / 53°31'24"N
Longitude: -1.2712 / 1°16'16"W
OS Eastings: 448413
OS Northings: 403211
OS Grid: SE484032
Mapcode National: GBR MWKP.LP
Mapcode Global: WHDD0.FPWS
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334428
Location: Barnburgh, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: Barnburgh
Built-Up Area: Barnburgh
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnburgh with Melton-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
6/7 Church of St. Peter
Church. C11-C12 lower tower, arcade of c1200, otherwise C14 and C15; restored
1869. Ashlar limestone, lead roofs. 3-stage west tower, 2-bay aisled nave with
south porch, 2-bay chancel with north chapel. Decorated and Perpendicular tracery;
embattled throughout. Tower: offset angle buttresses to earlier lower part.
Recessed west window has 2 ogee-headed lights beneath segmental arch. Small round-
headed window on south side. Offset beneath 2nd stage, clock on east side. C15
upper stage with offset and string course beneath transomed, 2-light belfry openings
with continuous hoodmould. String course with corner gargoyles; parapet with
pinnacled corner turrets. Recessed spirelet with crockets and weathervane. Nave:
chamfered plinth, offset angle buttresses to aisle. Porch to bay 1 with pointed arch
flanked by diagonal buttresses, chamfered transverse arches within. Decorated 3-light
window to bay 2. String course beneath parapet. Clerestorey has square-headed
windows of 2 cusped lights; parapet as aisle, east pinnacles. North aisle has blocked,
quoined doorway to west of 2, pointed-arched, 3-light windows. North clerestorey
windows of 3 pointed lights. Chancel: lower. Hooded priest's door flanked by
restored 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Angle buttresses flank C19, 5-light,
east window with geometrical tracery, east pinnacles. North chapel has blocked
doorway with 4-centred arch and hoodmould; 2 windows to east as north aisle, hoodmoulds.
Interior: moulded, pointed tower arch. Double-chamfered arcades on cylindrical piers
with octagonal capitals; broach-stopped base to north. Quadrant-moulded chancel arch.
Gothic Revival arcade to north chapel with twin-shafted pier. Piscinas to nave and
north chapel, reliquary niche to north aisle. Nave, south aisle and chancel roofs
C15 with cambered tie beams and bosses. Nave has octagonal font with billets round
base. Restoration date plaque: 1869 for John Hartop of Barnburgh Hall. Good
Romanesque cross shaft near north aisle pier has acanthus carving and figures in high
relief (Ryder, p103). Medieval parclose screen encloses chapel in south aisle,
similar screen at east end of north aisle. North chapel has excellent early C14
wooden effigy of knight with heart in hands; now set within buttressed and canopied
tomb to Sir Percival Cresacre (d.1477) with much Latin inscription. Wall monument to
Vincent family on south wall of chapel, Thomas Vincent(d.1667),also brass to Anna
Cresacre (d.1577) the ward and later daughter-in-law of Sir Thomas More. Brass in
chancel to Alice (d.1716) wife of G. Mompesson.
Rev. W. J. Parker, The Cresacre Treasure: The Church and Village of Barnburgh,
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire County Council
Archaeology Monograph, No 2, 1982.
Listing NGR: SE4841403212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings