This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5484 / 53°32'54"N
Longitude: -1.5625 / 1°33'44"W
OS Eastings: 429086
OS Northings: 405844
OS Grid: SE290058
Mapcode National: GBR KWJD.JQ
Mapcode Global: WHCBQ.Z24J
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334283
Location: Silkstone, Barnsley, S75
Civil Parish: Silkstone
Built-Up Area: Silkstone
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Silkstone All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 2906 SILKSTONE HIGH STREET
11/154 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 in origin, remodelled later C15, and completed 1495, chancel
rebuilt 1852-8, general C19 restoration. Ashlar. Lead chancel roof. West
tower, 5-bay nave with lean-to aisles, south porch, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay
aisles and single-bay vestry in south-east corner. Perpendicular style.
Tall two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Moulded west doorway with
deeply set, hollow-chamfered traceried window above. 2-light transomed,
traceried bell-chamber openings. Crenellated parapets with corner gargoyles
and pinnacles. Low nave and aisles with 2-light square-headed clerestorey
windows and 3-light arched aisle windows. Blocked doorway on north side,
west end. Taller chancel with low projecting chapels which have 3-light
windows as before. Blocked south chapel door. The aisle walls have low
buttresses which rise as square pinnacles and are connected back to the wall
by flying buttresses in the form of angels, grotesque figures and beasts.
Crenellated parapets to aisles and nave.
Interior: 5-bay double-chamfered arcade on circular piers (possibly re-used
(Pevsner). Perpendicular roofs to nave and aisles with good bosses.
Chancel arch and north chapel arcade on semi-circular responds of C12 date
and survive from the crossing which supported a central tower. Blocked rood
stair on south wall of south chapel. Perpendicular chancel and chapel
screens, all different and slightly altered. Two medieval shields in east
window of south chapel. Tomb in south chapel to Sir Thomas Wentworth d. 1675
and his wife: white marble recumbent effigies the former in armour, on a
large sarcophagus with relief trophies to sides. The memorial behind has
colonnettes supporting an open segmental pediment with shield and urns.
Sandstone cartouche in chancel to John Phipps of Pule Hill d. 1718 with
winged angels at top corners and skull and cross bones at bottom corners.
Box pews of 1832-5.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967
P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, for the South Yorkshire
Archaeological Service, 1982.
Listing NGR: SE2908605845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings