This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6518 / 52°39'6"N
Longitude: 0.484 / 0°29'2"E
OS Eastings: 568127
OS Northings: 308903
OS Grid: TF681089
Mapcode National: GBR P6B.P6C
Mapcode Global: WHKQS.DLQX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221507
Location: Shouldham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
Civil Parish: Shouldham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Shouldham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 60 NE SHOULDHAM CHURCH ROAD
5/33 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14, C15, nave restored 1870, chancel rebuilt 1871 by
R.J. Withers. Carstone and flint with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West
tower, nave, south transeptal chapel and chancel. 3 stage C14 tower with
angle buttresses to second stage, the stages outwardly undifferentiated.
Wave moulded west door below 2-light reticulated window with ogee cusped
lights. Square lancet lights to ringing chamber. 2-light Y belfry windows
with hood continuing as string course round tower. Carstone and brick
crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south-east corner. Substantially
rebuilt gabled south porch with 2-light square-headed side windows. 2 3-light
C15 nave windows to south and north under depressed arches : ogee lights with
rising supermullions linked by transom. Square chapel under catslide roof
with diagonal buttresses has late C14 2-light Perpendicular south window under
square head. East chapel window of c.1340-50 : 2 lights beneath square hood,
each light trefoiled with the centre cusp split back to arch. Circular
punched roundel in spandrel between arches. Chancel of 1871. One 3-light
intersecting window and one 2-light Y traceried window separated by buttress.
Eastern angle buttresses and 3-light window of exuberant flowing form. Vestry
abuts north chancel with angle buttresses, 2-light cusped windows, arched
door and lean-to roof. Chimney stack built into and flush with chancel wall.
Blocked north doorway. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch. C15 hammerbeam
roof of 5 trusses with shallow arched braces dropping to hammerposts carved
in representation of angels. Further arched braces to wall posts on C19
restored corbels. Alternate principals supported on short wall posts only.
Prominent ashlaring above coved wall plate with decorated cornice. Collars
to hammerbeam trusses and one tier moulded butt purlins with bosses at inter-
sections with principals. 3 C15 benches in nave, the ends carved with tracery
patterns below poppy heads. 5 similar bench ends applied to C19 benches.
Plain octagonal C14 font. Undercut and wave moulded arched tomb recess of
c.1330 cut into north nave wall. South chapel roof C15 : moulded principals
drop to wall posts through arched braces. Heavy moulded wall plate, one tier
moulded butt purlins with bosses at intersection with principals.
Listing NGR: TF6812708903
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings