This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7879 / 51°47'16"N
Longitude: -2.1938 / 2°11'37"W
OS Eastings: 386731
OS Northings: 209930
OS Grid: SO867099
Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.XWL
Mapcode Global: VH94R.XBM8
Entry Name: Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133272
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK GLOUCESTER STREET
7/94 Congregational Chapel
congregational chapel, now United Reform Church. Built 1803 but substantially
altered 1892, architect J F Trew, porch added, as Cornelius Winter memorial.
Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roof concealed by parapets. Large square
block in 2 storeys set up and back from street, but later porch brought forward
to pavement with stone stair and concrete ramp approaches. Main front has 3
arched casements with radial bars, set to deep keystones and in raised panels
with imposts; central window flanked by rusticated pilasters; at ground floor
each side of porch one and 2-light casements to heavy square lintels and
pilasters. Central flat-roofed heavy porch with plate glass triple sash to road
over carved memorial stone. Right return has C20 door under large plain light
at head of stone stairs with spear-head railings, and left return a pair of
3-panel doors under large 2-pane transom light. Parapet to main block returns
to sides; front includes open balustrades over outer windows, sunk panel with
small pediment to centre. Left side has wide arched 3-light window centre, and
2-light casement with transom at ground floor. Interior: coved ceiling with 3
decorative ventilation roses, 1892 balcony on twisted cast iron columns and a
bow front. Morris and Co stained glass to east end; various wall tablets from
1782 onwards. Attached pastor's room has C19 fire surround and overmantel. The
Rev Cornelius Winter was the pastor in 1803.
(Stell, C., Chapels and Meetinq Houses, Central Enqland, 1986).
Listing NGR: SO8673109930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings