This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8521 / 51°51'7"N
Longitude: -2.1591 / 2°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 389139
OS Northings: 217069
OS Grid: SO891170
Mapcode National: GBR 1L9.T47
Mapcode Global: VH94D.JQF1
Entry Name: Tithe Barn Circa 8 Metres North East of Brockworth Court
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134993
Location: Brockworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL3
Civil Parish: Brockworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Brockworth St George
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 81 NE BROCKWORTH COURT ROAD
3/41 Tithe Barn c8m north-east
of Brockworth Court
Tithe barn. Late C15 - early C16. Weather-boarded square-panelled
and close-studded timber-framing; random coursed squared and
dressed limestone; ashlar; stone slate roofing to the south facing
roof pitch; slate, artificial slate and stone slate at the rear.
Long rectangular plan. C19 red brick lean-to; open-fronted
shelter shed and C20 artificial stone lean-to to the rear not of
special interest. East gable end: single diagonal buttress and two
side buttresses with offsets, and ventilation slits. South front:
two open-fronted bays far right, divided from the main body of the
barn by a stone wall which is continued as a plinth supporting
weather-boarded timber framing on the north and south sides; 14
square C20 single pane windows within the weather-boarded part;
plank door inserted within former double width opening to former
threshing floor, now weather-boarded over. The two westernmost
bays are ashlar and probably represent a later phase of building:
ventilation slits and single-width doorway, now blocked with small
window inserted in the blocking. Gable end: segmental-headed
single-width doorway; segmental-headed pitching window; 3
ventilation slits. Half-hipped gable ends.
Interior: 8 bays; 5 raised cruck trusses rising from within the
plinth wall to meet an upright rising from a padstone set slightly
in from the plinth wall, several of these uprights are themselves
curved and are linked to the raised cruck via a cruck spur. A
brace rises from the top of the inner upright to support a collar
beam which in some of the trusses supports either single or double
vertical struts and an upper collar. The cruck blade truncates at
the point where it meets the inner upright and principal rafter.
Triple purlins and two tiers of windbracing the lower tier crossing
the line of the purlins. A brick wall divides the main body of the
barn from the ashlar-built part. A double roof truss with
principal rafters rises over this wall.
Listing NGR: SO8913517069
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings