This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8517 / 51°51'6"N
Longitude: -2.1597 / 2°9'35"W
OS Eastings: 389093
OS Northings: 217021
OS Grid: SO890170
Mapcode National: GBR 1L9.SXX
Mapcode Global: VH94D.JQ2C
Plus Code: 9C3VVR2R+M4
Entry Name: Six Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St George 6 to 10 Metres South of the Chancel
Listing Date: 22 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134999
Location: Brockworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL3
Civil Parish: Brockworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Brockworth St George
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BROCKWORTH COURT ROAD
SO 81 NE
3/47 Six monuments in the churchyard
of the Church of St George
6-10m south of the chancel
Four headstones; one pedestal tomb and one chest tomb.
a) Row of 4 headstones. Limestone. Headstones nearest chancel
with no legible inscriptions with finely carved cartouche-like
surrounds in bold relief. Headstone to the right with a raised
inscription panel with partially legible inscription. Ribbon
ties at the corners and a scallop shell flanked by scrolls at
the top. Headstone to the right with a raised inscription
panel with a partially legible inscription and a cherub's head
centre top, flanked by foliate fruit and flowers which run down
either side of the inscription panel.
b) Pedestal tomb. Sandstone. Inscription to Henry Yates of
Abbotswood, died 1771 on the east side. Inscription to
Elizabeth, wife of Henry, died 1792 on the west. Moulded
plinth with inset corners. Sunken oval inscription panels.
Burning grail (eroded) on the south. Urn shaded by a palm on
the north side. Capping with inset corners and an inner
pyramidal capping with a pineapple finial.
c) Chest tomb with lyre-shaped ends. Limestone. Mid C18. No
legible inscription. Oval inscription panel on the south side
with a cartouche-like surround; marginal panels with floral
decoration, single cherub's heads at the bottom of each;
foliate decoration to the sides of the lyre-shaped ends. Oval
inscription panel with a partially legible inscription panel
and a raised moulded surround with scrolls either side.
Rectangular inscription panel at the east end with a bolection
moulded surround and scrolls either side. The north side of
the tomb lies flat, but is probably similar to the south side.
Thick capping with moulded margin.
Listing NGR: SO8909317021
Other nearby listed buildings