This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7267 / 50°43'36"N
Longitude: -1.8406 / 1°50'26"W
OS Eastings: 411345
OS Northings: 91909
OS Grid: SZ113919
Mapcode National: GBR XD7.0C
Mapcode Global: FRA 7715.0RW
Entry Name: Royal Arcade
Listing Date: 12 November 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101728
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Electoral Ward/Division: Boscombe West
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St John the Evangelist, Boscombe
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
5186 (North Side)
12.11.75. No 562
- No 566
- Royal Arcade [Nos 1 to 32 (consec)]
SZ 1091 22/236
Includes Nos 2 to 18 Haviland Road West. L-plan shopping arcade (from Christchurch
Road to Palmerston Road), 1892-3, Lawson and Donkin. Mixed Renaissance facade,
red brick with stone, stucco and buff brick dressings: triple-arched stucco entrance
to arcade, doubled in depth, over it, vast glazed lunette outlined in buff brick
with rosette in each spandrel and ornate circular balcony corbelled out of keystone
on sculptured plumes, all enclosed by shaped gable with 3 stepped round-arched
windows, central one with septfoil tracery, behind flanking balustrades high
splayed hipped roof rising to cupola with segmental pedimented bull's eye and
square leaded dome with obelisk finial and vane. Symmetrical side wings, 3 storeys,
with rounded corners to centre, pilastered shopfronts with egg-and-tongue cornice,
scrolled pediments to 1st floor mullioned and transom windows within blind round-headed
arcade, mullioned and transomed 2nd moor windows, lunette with bull's eye over
in shaped gable. Similar wings to Palmerston Road facade, where the central
lunette of the arcade is framed in simple flat-parapetted red brick walling.
Red brick rear to Haviland Road West has workshop-type shops with living accommodation
over (bargeboarded dormers). The Arcade itself has 2 walks, each of 8 bays,
meeting at central octagon. Shop fronts with detached ornamental iron co1umns,
lst floor windows with Cinquecento tracery in glazing bars; roof with transverse
iron arches supporting pitched roof of glass with pitched lantern down centre.
Octagon has bow shop front to east supporting big ornamental bowed balcony (perhaps
originally a cafe).
The Royal Arcade Nos 562 and 566 and the Hippodrome form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ1134591909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings