This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4829 / 52°28'58"N
Longitude: 1.4161 / 1°24'57"E
OS Eastings: 632050
OS Northings: 292702
OS Grid: TM320927
Mapcode National: GBR WKN.BTY
Mapcode Global: VHM68.HVGH
Entry Name: Ditchingham Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226808
Location: Ditchingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ditchingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ditchingham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
DITCHINGHAM DITCHINGHAM PARK
TM 39 SW
Country house. Built c.1715 for Rev. John Bedingfeld, extended 1910. Mauve
brick with red brick dressings. Hipped slate roofs, some plain tiles on rear
slopes. Two storeys and attics, U-shaped plan. South facade of seven bays,
the centre three slightly advanced under a pediment: sashes with glazing bars
and louvred shutters. Sunken apron panels below windows. Keyed gauged brick
arches over openings, the keys reflected in the moulded string course at first
floor level. Central doorway withCorinthian pilasters supporting a segmental.
pediment with dentil ornament. The pediment interrupts the first floor string
course. The central first floor window has a raised and eared moulded brick
surround with head-keystone. The surround rests on short brick pilasters.
Modillion eaves cornice. Cartouche with arms and festoons in pediment
typanum. Four pedimented attic dormers. Two square panelled chimney stacks
with moulded caps, symmetrically-placed. C20 swept serpentine garden wall
attached to south-west corner. West facade increased from five to nine bays
for William Carr 1910: sashes with glazing bars under gauged arches with
keystones. Moulded string course at first floor level. Central doorway;
6-panel 2-leaf door with rectangular fanlight. Stone door surround,
architrave with bead and foliage decoration; angle pilasters with consoles
supporting segmental pediment containing cartouche and leaf-ornament. Frieze
of foliage with ram's head below pediment. Centre first floor window set
in eared brick architrave with head-keystone, echoing the south facade. Steep
pediment over centre three bays, containing circular window with glazing bars,
moulded surround with scroll-keystones and festoons of flowers and foliage.
Modillion eaves cornice with additional carved brackets below pediment. Four
pedimented attic dormers, two C20 roof windows. Panelled chimney stack on
ridge line, to north of pediment. Rear of Edwardian range has two blind first
floor openings with above, a large panelled and scrolled chimney stack.
Segmental 2-storey bow with steep hipped roof and three curved first floor
sashes with glazing bars. String course and eaves, cornice continue round
from west facade. North wall has central 6-panel door with rectangular
fanlight, moulded architrave with pediment on pulvinated frieze. Two tall
semicircular-headed windows with glazing bars; two pedimented dormers. One-
bay return on east side with single-storey service range to north, a C20
remodelling with slated pyramid roof behind a parapet. East facade of six
bays with detailing repeated from south and west elavations: one ground floor
sash replaced by tall glazed door; one first floor window blind. Three
pedimented attic dormers. At the north-west corner an attached C20 garden
wall with panelled piers and ball finials; C17 wrought iron gates, painted
and gilded, re-used from Staunton Harold, Northants. Interior: contains good
C18 stair with three turned balusters per tread and carved tread ends.
(Interior not inspected).
Listing NGR: TM3205092702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings