This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9 / 51°54'0"N
Longitude: -1.6949 / 1°41'41"W
OS Eastings: 421090
OS Northings: 222430
OS Grid: SP210224
Mapcode National: GBR 4Q9.Y0C
Mapcode Global: VHBZC.KHVS
Entry Name: Icomb Place
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130937
Location: Icomb, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Icomb
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Icomb St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ICOMB ICOMB VILLAGE
SP 22 SW
2/204 Icomb Place
Manor house. Rebuilt c1420, probably by Sir John Blaket (q.v.
monument in the Church of St Mary, Icomb) on the site of an earlier
moated manor house, altered mid-late C17, partially demolished
early-mid C20. The former plan comprised ranges of buildings set
around two courtyards with the hall at the centre and the northern
(entrance) range set skew to the remainder of the plan. Most of
the range forming the southern side of this plan, was demolished
early-mid C20. C20 flat-roofed garaging added to the west range
not of special interest. Coursed squared and dressed limestone of
two colours, dressed stone quoins. Some areas of walling
degenerate into a rubble-built construction. Stone slate roof
with ashlar stacks.
Entrance front; 2 storeys with 2-storey porch breaking forwards
slightly off-centre left flanked by two original wall chimneys
which project out at first floor level. Irregular fenestration to
a 5-bay front. Fenestration comprises three 2-light windows with
hollow chamfers, pointed heads, carved spandrels and stopped hoods,
two 3-light stilted-headed hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned
casements with carved spandrels and stopped hoods. Two similar
but 4-light windows to the ground and first floors of the right
gable end. Two single-light and one 2-light stone-mullioned
casement with rectangular surrounds also lighting the entrance
front. C20 painted double doors within a moulded Tudor-arched
surround to porch. Forward facing buttresses either side of the
doorway. Fine 4-light window within a rectangular surround with
ogee-curved heads with a pair of oval openings above each and a
stopped hood. Pierced Tudor-arched rere-arch to interior splay.
Battlemented parapet. East range; 2 1/2 storeys. Five Cotswold
dormers with C20 wooden casements timber lintels and horizontal
glazing bars. Irregular fenestration to the ground and first
floors. Three restored cross windows to the first floor, one
within a moulded architrave. Single light, 2 and 3-light stone-
mullioned casements, some probably mid C17 with hollow chamfers,
some C19. Two C19 stone-mullioned canted bays to the ground
floor. South front with wing with half-hipped extension projects
forwards to the right. Fenestration to gable end and left-hand
return comprises C20 single light and 2-light casements. C19
porch with 'Tudor'-arched entrance with foliate spandrels to the
left. Tall C15 stone-mullioned cross window to hall to the left.
The lower lights of this window have pointed heads while the upper,
taller lights have ogee-curved heads with a pair of oval openings
above and stopped hoods. l½ storey range (probably late C18-C19)
rebuilt parallel with the hall, breaks forwards to the left.
Three 2-light half dormers to the upper floor. Fenestration
comprises C20 two-light casements. Plain heraldic shield within
surround decorated with blind tracery (possibly reused) in the
right gable end. Blocked opening above. West front now largely
obscured by garage and fencing.
Exterior viewed from the courtyard; north side of great hall lit
by 2 tall C15 cross-mullioned windows lighting the south wall
(previously described). Plank door within a moulded 4-centred
arched surround with casement mouldings. Quatrefoil in the
spandrels work plain heraldic shields at the centre of each.
Similar archway (now obscured by the C19 porch) on the south side
of the former screens passage. The solar (west) wing to the right
of the great hall is of 2 storeys with a 6-light hollow-chamfered
stone-mullioned casement with stilted heads to each light.
Central king mullion and a stopped hood to the ground floor.
Five-light stone-mullioned window with ogee-curved cinquefoil heads
with tracery and stopped hood above. Two-storey stone-mullioned
bay window to the right in the angle between the west range and the
entrance front. Ogee-curved stone-mullioned windows with tracery
with small trefoils above to the ground floor. Ogee-curved
cinquefoil-headed lights and tracery to the upper floor windows.
Stopped hood with large stops in the form of human heads over the
upper floor window. String between floors. Parapet with beast's
head gargoyle. This window may once have formed an access between
the west range and the north (entrance) range. The east range has
a mid C20, C17 style panelled gallery, lit by a 3-light casement.
Single panel with carved dragon below. Gable-end, axial and
lateral stacks with moulded cappings. Stepped coping and roll-
cross saddles to the entrance front.
Interior; great hall open to rafters, 5 bays with original arch-
braced collar-beam roof trusses, triple purlins and three tiers of
curved wind bracing. Base of some form of lantern visible half-
way along the ridge in west end. Former partition dividing the
hall from the screens passage at the opposite end now removed.
Two blocked Tudor-arched doorways in the east wall, which would
formerly have given access to the kitchen and buttery. Late C16-
early C17 fireplace flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters and panelled
segmental-headed pediment. Moulded console bracket at the centre
of the entablature in the south wall. Mid C20, C17 style panelled
gallery with four panels with carved dragons. The solar wing has
a wagon ceiling and a fireplace with moulded rectangular surround.
C17 carved oak cupboard door with nulling at the top in an upstairs
room. Wall painting cl.5m square depicting a sailing ship in full
sail in red/brown paint in an attic bedroom on the west range.
Roll-moulded tie beams in north (entrance) range. Numerous flat-
chamfered Tudor-arched doorways and fireplaces throughout. From
the Blakets the house passed successively through the female line
into the hands of the Baskerville and Milbourne families. During
the C16 it belonged to the Whitney family. In 1712 it belonged to
Henry Cope son of Thomas and Elizabeth Whitney (q.v. monument in
the south transept).
(Rev. David Royce, Icomb; Its History, Topography and
Architectural Antiquities, Read August 1869, Reports Association,
Worcester Architectural Society. Icomb Place Trans B.G.A.S.
(1882-3). Robert Cooke; West Country Houses, 1957)
Listing NGR: SP2109022430
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings