This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7804 / 51°46'49"N
Longitude: -2.3874 / 2°23'14"W
OS Eastings: 373372
OS Northings: 209157
OS Grid: SO733091
Mapcode National: GBR 0KM.97C
Mapcode Global: VH94N.KHRZ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Last Amended: 9 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132428
Location: Fretherne with Saul, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Fretherne with Saul
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Fretherne St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
FRETHERNE WITH SAUL FRETHERNE
SO 70 NW
5/169 Church of St. Mary
Anglican church. Rebuilt 1847, on site of C13 church, by Francis
Niblett enlarged 1857-9 by J.W. Hugall; commissioned by Darell
family. Brown sandstone, with pinkish ashlar limestone dressings,
roof mainly in decorative fishscale pattern tiles, with decorative
ridge tiles, pierced parapets of varying designs, raised coped
verges with cross finials, and crocketed corner pinnacles to east;
south side of nave in plain tiles, south aisle in stone slates.
Nave with aisles, west corner of north aisle forming porch with
tower over, 2 south chapels and small south-east vestry. Decorated
style. Tower of 3 stages with stepped angle buttresses, surmounted
by steep gablets at second stage flanking clock face in carved
surround on north face, 2-light double tier belfry louvres on top
stage on each face. Corners have crocketed pinnacles with small
flying buttresses to crocketed octagonal spire. Steep gable over
porch with angel corbels and angel in apex niche, stepped pointed
arched doorway with elaborate wrought iron gates across door
panelled in Decorated style. Windows mostly 2 or 3-light, with
stepped buttresses between. Chapel to south-west is gabled; to
south east with parapet and pinnacles, rose window to south and
large sculpted angels flanking 4-light to east. Chancel 3-light
east window has elaborately carved ogee hoodmould with pinnacles
and angel stops. Priest's door to north-east and door to chapel on
south-west both have decorative wrought iron grilles.
Interior: generally highly decorative with coloured and encaustic
floor tiles, painted roof, and painting and gilding on stonework.
Nave of 4 bays has arch-braced collar beams with pierced cusped
decoration above collar beam, 4-bay arcade to south with all piers
different, 2-bay to north, all pointed arches. Two clerestory roof
lights close to chancel arch are jettied out as oriels into
internal roof space. Chapel to south west has trefoil arcading
under south window and C13 coffin lids on floor. Elaborately
carved wooden pulpit hood and stone font hood. Glass mainly by
George Rogers of Worcester 1859.
(David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, the Vale and
the Forest of Dean, 1980; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)
Listing NGR: SO7337209157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings