This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8364 / 51°50'10"N
Longitude: -1.8025 / 1°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 413706
OS Northings: 215325
OS Grid: SP137153
Mapcode National: GBR 4QY.T9B
Mapcode Global: VHB27.P3ZK
Entry Name: Farmington Lodge
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130487
Location: Farmington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Farmington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Farmington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
FARMINGTON FARMINGTON VILLAGE
SP 11 NW
1/49 Farmington Lodge
Country house. Built for Edmund Waller (q.v. monument in
churchyard). Mid-late C18, altered and enlarged in 1854 by David
Brandon. Interior altered C20. Entrance front coursed squared and
dressed limestone, central 3 bays and outer 3 bays ashlar. Stone
slate roof, ashlar stacks. Rectangular plan to main body. Two
storeys and attic lit by 2 and 3-light roof dormers with leaded
panes. 3:3:3:3:3-windowed facade. The centre of the entrance
front has four attached giant Doric columns supporting an
entablature with triglyphs and triangular pediment. Central
double, fielded 6-panel door within semi-circular headed surround
with fanlight. Eighteen-pane sash window within blind semi-
circular headed arch opening onto small C20 balcony with C20
wrought ironwork balustrade over entrance. Eight-pane sashes with
horns either side between outer columns. Six-pane sashes below.
Insurance plaque towards apex of pediment. Mostly 12-pane sashes
with horns within plain architraves with keystones either side of
pedimented bays. Four-pane sashes with horns to ground floor left.
C20 part-glazed door within plain architrave with keystone right of
pedimented part. Band and parapet above first floor windows.
Garden front; 4:5:4-windowed facade. Central block faced in
ashlar, outer blocks coursed squared and dressed limestone. Four-
pane sashes to central block. Plain architraves to ground floor
windows moulded at top. Corbels with foliate decoration below
sills and below moulded frieze. Narrow band at sill level. First
floor windows within moulded surrounds with corbels with decorative
foliate carving, below sill level. Moulded cornice and balustrade.
Central sash also functioning as door within Gibbs surround.
Pulvinated frieze with heraldic shield at centre and date 1854.
Triangular pediment above. Twelve-pane sashes within moulded
surrounds to first 2 bays of ground floor of right-hand wing with
flat-arched heads. Double-chamfered surrounds and flat-arched
heads to windows above. Windows to ground floor of left-hand wing
same as right-hand wing. Windows above with plain architraves and
keystones. Axial and gable-end stacks.
Interior; C18 staircase with wreathed handrail and 2 balusters per
tread, one barley twist baluster per tread. Position of staircase
altered C20. Dining room; plastered ceiling in the style of
Robert Adam. Fine fireplace decorated with finely painted figural
scenes. Fluted friezes over doorways. Incomplete interior
Listing NGR: SP1370615325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings