This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8604 / 50°51'37"N
Longitude: -2.5836 / 2°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 359017
OS Northings: 106923
OS Grid: ST590069
Mapcode National: GBR MR.V189
Mapcode Global: FRA 56GT.R84
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Edwold
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105877
Location: Stockwood, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Stockwood
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Melbury Osmund with Melbury Sampford St Osmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014
ST 50 NE
Parish Church of St Edwold
Parish Church. Rebuilt C15, west porch added in 1636. Rubble walls, with
freestone dressings. Slate roof, with stone slate eaves, and stone gable-
copings with ogival moulded kneelers. C19 cross on east gable. West gable
has an early C17 bell-cote, four Roman Doric columns supporting a round stone
dome with a cornice, ball-terminal and pinnacles over the columns. Nave and
chancel in one cell. East window, of 3 trefoiled lights with tracery in a
2-centred head with a label and returned stops. North wall has a window of
2 trefoiled lights, now completely restored. South wall has 2 windows, east:
early C15, of 2 trefoiled lights in a square head with a C20 rere-arch; west:
C16, of 3 four-centred lights in a square head with a label. West doorway,
straight-chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. Plank door with strap
hinges. The C17 porch at West end has a stone slab roof, with stone gable-
copings and moulded kneelers. Entrance has moulded jambs, projecting imposts,
round arch and dropped keystone. Above is a stone panel inscribed W.P. 1636.
Interior: flagstone floors. Font, stone and octagonal, with IHS and cross
motifs, circular stem and moulded base, C19. The church is now in the care
of The Churches Conservation Trust.
(RCHM. Dorset I, p.224(1))
Listing NGR: ST5901806924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings