This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.2337 / 55°14'1"N
Longitude: -2.1014 / 2°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 393647
OS Northings: 593281
OS Grid: NY936932
Mapcode National: GBR F7RX.VP
Mapcode Global: WHB10.PQJ4
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236255
Location: Elsdon, Northumberland, NE19
Civil Parish: Elsdon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Elsdon St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
19/16 Church of
Parish church. C12, C14 and C16 or early C17. Restored 1837 and again in 1877
by F.R. Wilson. Random rubble and squared stone with Welsh slate roof.
Nave with bellcote, aisles, transepts with west aisles, chancel and vestry.
Nave: C19 south porch and flanking C19 Decorated windows. Low buttress in
south-west corner probably part of cut-back walls of earlier wider aisles.
West end has large C19 window in projecting walling which rises to support
bellcote. Low flanking buttresses are remnants of former tower (cf interior).
Transepts: the aisles are later additions (see the C14 angle buttress with
roll mouldings, now embedded in the north wall). C19 south window with jambs
of original window to left.
Chancel: C14 priest's door and three C14 windows, each of different pattern.
East end C19.
Gabled roofs with cross finials. Elaborate bellcote of c.1720 with 2 tiers of
ball finials and stone spirelet.
Interior: In west wall a high blocked tower arch with hoodmould of heavy square
section - probably C12 re-set as pointed arch. 4-bay nave arcades; C12 west
responds. Elsewhere C14 arches with octagonal piers and moulded capitals; 2nd
south pier has foliage carving in the capital; double-chamfered arches.
Transept piers are square with chamfered edges, the stops carved with tracery
or figures; double-chamfered arches dying into the imposts - the outer order
dying much higher than the inner. Similar chancel arch. Transept arcades
similar to nave. Very narrow aisles and transept aisles with quadrant tunnel
vaults and very thick outer walls; probably a C16 or C17 rebuilding. Corbels
for roof timbers of earlier aisles visible below vaults.
C14 sedilia in chancel. Trefoiled piscina in south transept. Medieval grave
covers in chancel south window, 2 in south transept, above south door, south
aisle west window, 4 in north transept. Roman tombstone in north aisle. False
hammer-beam roofs by F.R. Wilson. Cartouche of 1741 to William Brown.
G.N. Taylor: The Story of Elsdon: Frank Graham: Newcastle.
Hodgson J. : History of Northumberland: Newcastle.
Listing NGR: NY9364793281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings