This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6219 / 51°37'18"N
Longitude: -2.1753 / 2°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 387962
OS Northings: 191466
OS Grid: ST879914
Mapcode National: GBR 1P5.8VQ
Mapcode Global: VH95K.7HWJ
Entry Name: Doughton Manor and Gate Piers to North
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128628
Location: Tetbury Upton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury Upton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
The following building shall be added to the list:
ST 89 SE TETBURY UPTON DOUGHTON
5/343 Doughton Manor and gate
piers to north
Large Manor House. Built between c1628 and 1641 for Richard Talboys, restored in 1933.
Said to be of cob, with stone porches, quoins and stacks and bay windows. Cotswold
stone-slate roof. H-plan, with through passage linking central projecting porches
on north and south facades (which are very similar). 3 storeys and attic. 5 gables,
centre 3 smaller. 6 windows, 2 and 3-light stone mullion casements with continuous
dripmoulds to ground and 1st floors. Central porch of coursed rubble has 2 storeys
and attic, round-arched doorway with keystone and impost blocks and squared moulded
architrave with flattened arched doorway, reduced radial fanlight and double studded
doors. Most windows leaded, or latticed, some with ancient glass. Left-hand gable
has 3 windows in staggered sequence. 2nd gable from left and right-hand gable have
stone stacks with multiple flues with caps missing; on south front very tall stack
on inside face of east gable. Inside front porch, initials RT and date 1641 to right,
FAM 1933 to left. Gate piers of about 3.5m in height of squared rubble with elaborate
corniced structure and ball finials, with initials RT on left pier and date 1641 on
Interior retains several panelled rooms, and large stone fireplaces including one
on first floor bearing arms of Talboys and Abarrow (Richard Talboys married Elizabeth
Abarrow in 1632). (David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds,
1979; Cook, Houses of the West Country).
Listing NGR: ST8796291466
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings