This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0691 / 55°4'8"N
Longitude: -2.1506 / 2°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 390479
OS Northings: 574967
OS Grid: NY904749
Mapcode National: GBR F9FT.6P
Mapcode Global: WHB1R.YV2B
Entry Name: Church of St Christopher
Listing Date: 5 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239592
Location: Chollerton, Northumberland, NE48
Civil Parish: Chollerton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Chollerton St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 97 SW CHOLLERTON GUNNERTON
14/57 Church of St.Christopher
Church. 1899. By Rev. Hawes. Rock-faced, snecked stone with Welsh slate roof.
Arts and Crafts style. Nave, chancel, south porch and north chapel.
West end has large round window with rock-faced surround.
4-bay nave has south porch with round-headed doorway under canted catslide roof.
The door has wood panels of leaf carving and text in lettering of the period.
Overhanging eaves with curved wood struts on stone corbels. Some medieval
fragments built into wall. Nave south wall has 3 wide short round-arched windows
with radiating glazing bars and rock-faced voussoirs. North wall blank.
Chancel has 4-light window in ashlar surround with segmental heads to lights.
Also an elliptical-arched priest's door.
East end blank except for 2 slit windows. Nave roof gabled. Higher chancel
roof is half-hipped at east end and gabled at west end which projects as a bell
turret on curved struts.
Interior has canted wood boarded ceilings. Stone pointed arch to north chapel;
also exposed stone jambs and rere arches of east end slit windows. Old octagonal
font on C20 base. Low west gallery has panels of naturalistic carving.
Hawes was curate of Gunnerton, later became Roman Catholic and emigrated to
Australia where he built several churches. He then became a hermit in the
The Hermit of Cat Island by Anson.
Listing NGR: NY9047974967
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings