This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4018 / 51°24'6"N
Longitude: -1.2589 / 1°15'32"W
OS Eastings: 451648
OS Northings: 167229
OS Grid: SU516672
Mapcode National: GBR 93D.0JS
Mapcode Global: VHCZL.41B7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39627
Location: Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG19
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Thatcham
Built-Up Area: Thatcham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Thatcham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THATCHAM CHURCH GATE (north side)
8/25 Church Of St.Mary
Church. C12 and later including C13 arcade and C15 north aisle, rebuilt in 1857
by Thomas Hellyer in Decorated style with plinth, hood moulds and parapetted gables.
Flint with stone dressings, some coursed rubble in tower and north aisle, tiled
roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle with chapel to east, south porch,
chancel and vestry. West tower; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, newel turret to
south west, string course with gargoyles and embattled parapet. 3-light bell chamber
openings with panelled tracery, and C19 west doorway. South aisle; 3 bays with 2-light
windows; Danvers chapel to east, 3 bays, 2-light windows with panelled tracery, and
3-light window to east. C12 south doorway of 3 orders with scalloped capitals, and
chevron ornament on arch. C19 gabled south porch with angle buttresses. North aisle:
3 bays, 2-light windows with panelled tracery; square headed door between first and
second bays from west. 3-light window with panelled tracery at east end, with small
cusped one light opening in gable above. Chancel:one lancet to south, and door with
hood mould to right; 3-light east window with panelled tracery. Interior: 3 bay north
and south nave arcades with square piers and chamfered arches. North aisle windows have
chamfered rear arches, and shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Large C19 Norman
style chancel arch. South aisle chapel has C15 flat panelled roof, all others C19. All
fittings C19. Monuments: stone chest tomb with trefoiled panels to Sir William Danvers
of 1504 in south aisle chapel; alabaster wall tablet with kneeling figures to Nicholas
Fuller of 1620 in chancel. V.C.H. Vol.3. pp.323-325. B.O.E.Berkshire. p.239. Murray's
Berkshire Architectural Guide. Betjeman and Piper. 1949. p.146.
Listing NGR: SU5164867231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings