This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4518 / 51°27'6"N
Longitude: -0.9673 / 0°58'2"W
OS Eastings: 471853
OS Northings: 173036
OS Grid: SU718730
Mapcode National: GBR QMH.T0
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.5RZY
Entry Name: 73 and 75, London Street
Listing Date: 22 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39032
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Katesgrove
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 73 and 75
SU 7173 SE 3/195 22.3.75.
1748, house of Dr Addington, physician to George III, father of the later Prime
Minister. (Lead rainwater head with initials AM and date 1748 removed since
previous list). An imposing pair of houses of the same general design. 3
storeys and basement. Stucco plinth, red brick, header bond. Painted stone
string at 1st floor level, and painted stone cills to 1st and 2nd floor windows.
Moulded and painted stone cornice, plain brick parapet with stone coping.
Old tile roof, taller hipped part to left with shaped chimney. Glazing bar
sash windows (No 75 has a vent now to 2nd floor left hand window), scalloped
blind boxes to No 75. Central doors with stone steps (only No 73 retaining
moulded nosing). No 73 has 6 panelled door with radiating fanlight over deep
plain painted wood architrave with ovolo moulding. Moulded open pediment on
half scroll fluted brackets with acanthus ornament, repeated at right angles
on wall face. No 75 has double 6 panelled door with rectangular fanlight (oval
and star glazing pattern); wood case with panelled reveals, architrave surround,
plain frieze, msulded cornice and half scroll fluted brackets with acanthus
ornament. Recently a further door has been inserted to left of No 75, smaller
with isolated brackets (probably intended for a flat hood). C18 or early C19
ramped spearhead cast-iron railings with panel standards topped with small
urns and segmental bar and ball across front of both houses. No 73 retains
a pair of sphinx footscrapers. Interior of No 75 altered to cinema. No 73
has original staircase with fluted balusters and plaster panelling in principal
rooms, hall and staircase. Flagged hall with black diamond corners. Rear
Listing NGR: SU7185373036
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings