This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7453 / 51°44'43"N
Longitude: -1.7084 / 1°42'30"W
OS Eastings: 420226
OS Northings: 205222
OS Grid: SP202052
Mapcode National: GBR 4S7.DX7
Mapcode Global: VHC04.BDPC
Plus Code: 9C3WP7WR+4J
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and St Martin
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127419
Location: Eastleach, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Eastleach
Built-Up Area: Eastleach Martin
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastleach St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH MARTIN
13/171 Church of St Michael
and St Martin
Parish church. C12; C13 chancel and C14 transept. Random rubble
limestone; chancel partly roughcast stone slate roof. Nave with
west tower, south porch, north transept and chancel. Plainly
moulded round arched C12 south doorway with pelleted imposts and
jamb shafts having cushion capitals. C13 parapet gabled porch with
pointed arch and sundial finial. Trefoil-headed niche in east wall
of porch. Indications of altered window openings to south nave
wall; fine late C13 nave window with intersecting tracery to right
of porch; 2-light with cusped trefoil heads to left. Blocked
square-headed north doorway; high-level blocked pointed window to
right. Diagonal offset buttresses to west wall of 2-stage tower
with large Perpendicular 3-light window. Small square belfry
openings. Low-pitched sprocketed hipped tower roof with tall
weathervane finial. Stair turret set at angle on north side of
tower with cross loop opening and coped top. Parapet gabled north
transept has very good 5-light north window having Decorated
tracery of intersecting type. Three-light east and west transept
windows with Decorated tracery. Remains of bellcote to east gable
end of nave. Three-light east chancel Early English window; large
cusped image niche above. Lancets to side walls of chancel;
moulded pointed arched south priest's doorway.
Interior: limewashed throughout. C19 restored nave roof, hammer
beam trusses alternating with collar trusses. Tall C15 four-
centred tower arch; tower stair doorway set well above floor level
to right. C12 jambs with cushion capitals to C13 pointed chancel
arch. Transept arch has nailhead enrichment to jamb shaft
capitals; head terminals to hoodmould. Fine carved corbels to
rere-arches of transept windows. Wagon roof is unrestored. Rere-
arches in chancel have cusping towards east end. Fine large rere-
arch to east window has carved heads to terminals of short shafts
below capitals with nailhead decoration. Trefoil-headed piscina.
Hexagonal timber pulpit contains Jacobean panelling. Late medieval
pews to rear of nave; C17 pews towards front with end finials.
Octagonal C15 stone font with quatrefoil panel to each face. Large
memorial panel below sill of chancel window to Mary Horton, died
1736, has marble plaque with latin inscription. Various fragments
of medieval stained glass. Church was founded by Richard Fitzpons,
a Norman whose son granted it to Great Malvern Priory about 1120.
Now vested in the Redundant Churches Fund and well preserved.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Martin' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.
55-61; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire:
The Cotswolds, 1979
Listing NGR: SP2022805216
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings