This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7449 / 51°44'41"N
Longitude: -1.7069 / 1°42'24"W
OS Eastings: 420334
OS Northings: 205172
OS Grid: SP203051
Mapcode National: GBR 4S7.F9R
Mapcode Global: VHC04.CDHQ
Plus Code: 9C3WP7VV+X7
Entry Name: Eastleach House
Listing Date: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127423
Location: Eastleach, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Eastleach
Built-Up Area: Eastleach Martin
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastleach St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH MARTIN
13/175 Eastleach House
Large country house. 1900 by Walter Cave for Charles Dimsdale.
Coursed rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate
roof. Stylistically combining Queen Anne and Cotswold Tudor
revivals. Central stair hall plan; 2-storey with cellar. North
(entrance) front: north range given vertical emphasis at centre by
projection with 3 moulded parapet gables with ball finials.
Fenestration mainly concentrated in this part: central moulded
Tudor arched doorway with initials 'C' and 'B' in left and right
spandrels respectively - Cave and Bazley. Flanking single-lights;
large stair window over is mullioned and transomed with 5 upper and
3 lower lights. Continuous hoodmoulds extend to ground and upper
floor 4-light casements below outer gables. All casements to this
part have decorative leading. Two fine lead rainwater heads.
South (garden) front: central gabled projecting wing with moulded
parapets to sides linking with 2 smaller parapet gables above main
fenestration. Mullioned and transomed casement to each floor of
wing with keyed oval gable vent having pierced stone screen.
Mullioned casements below outer gables. Row of 4 diagonal chimney
shafts with moulded caps set transverse to ridge to left of central
wing. West elevation: 2 parapet gabled ends of north and south
ranges enclose small courtyard with Tudor arched doorway in
mullioned and transomed screen to ground floor. Main gables have
2-light attic vents with decorative timber screens.
Interior: very distinctive with simple panelling and boldly
projecting, simplified mouldings. Fireplaces are classically
derived but with attenuated column mantelshelf supports rather
similar to Voysey's detailing. Central hall has fine staircase
with involved plan forming a half landing above main entrance
lobby. Hall fireplace has carved datestone 'GSB 1900'. Gardner
Sebastian Bazley had inherited Sir Thomas Bazley's estate by 1900,
Sir Thomas having started the house for his daughter and son-in-
law, using stone from a large ruined house at Macaroni Downs Farm.
Walter Cave's one major Cotswold House stands on prominent position
to east of village. Stable and coach house to east (q.v.), built
for previous house on this site; also lodge to west (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP2033405170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings