History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Egmanton, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2122 / 53°12'43"N

Longitude: -0.8994 / 0°53'57"W

OS Eastings: 473599

OS Northings: 368914

OS Grid: SK735689

Mapcode National: GBR BHG.MFD

Mapcode Global: WHFGW.5J09

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241875

Location: Egmanton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Egmanton

Built-Up Area: Egmanton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Egmanton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 76 NW
(west side)
4/25 Church of
St. Mary


Parish church. C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, restored C19. Coursed
rubble, random rubble, snecked dressed stone, ashlar, with lead
and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, vestry, south
transept. West tower, C15, 3 stages, has moulded and chamfered
plinth, 2 string courses, eaves band with 2 gargoyles to north
and south, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles.
Partial buttress to south east, engaged with nave. Pair of
diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. First stage has to south
a stair light. To west, moulded doorway, early C15, with C15
door. Above, round headed triple lancet with panel tracery,
partly restored, with hood mould. To its right, a stair light.
Second stage has a stair light to east and west. Third stage has
4 C15 double lancet bell openings with panel tracery and hood
moulds. Parapet has on north side, inscription and date 1916.
Nave north clerestorey, 3 bays, has 3 late C15 round headed
double lancets with square heads and hood moulds. Nave south
side has to west C16 triple lancet with square headed splayed
reveal and hood mould. To its right, slightly projecting
unmoulded round headed doorway, C12, with medieval latticed plank
door. South clerestorey has 2 C15 round headed double lancets
with square heads and hood moulds, that to west cusped. Above,
chimney. North aisle, C14, 2 unequal bays, has a buttress at
each end and a later central buttress, all 2 setoffs. To east,
late C14 restored triple lancet with cusped heads, four centred
arched reveal and hood mould. To west, chamfered doorway with
elliptical head. West end has late C14 partly restored triple
lancet with cusped round heads, elliptical headed reveal and hood
mould. East end has a similar triple lancet. Vestry, C19,
single bay, has chamfered plinth, sill band, coved eaves and
moulded coped gable. North gable has 2 flanking buttresses and
single chamfered lancet. West side has a chamfered pointed
doorway. Chancel, C15, has coved eaves and coped east gable with
kneelers and cross. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses, 2
setoffs and sill band. North side has to east, C16 double lancet
with cusped round heads, and square headed reveal. To west, an
identical smaller lancet. East end has renewed C14 style 5 light
lancet with reticulated tracery, keeled moulded mullions and hood
mould with stops. South side has off-centre additional buttress
with chamfered plinth, 2 setoffs. To east, C16 double lancet
with cusped heads, square headed reveal and remains of 2 mask
stops. To west, C14 moulded doorway with C19 door. Above, re-
set traceried panel with 2 blank shields. Above it, blocked
chamfered lancet. To west again, remains of doorway. To its
left, C15 double lancet with coved heads, and square headed
reveal. South transept, late C14, restored C19, single bay, has
chamfered plinth and moulded sill band, coped south gable with
kneelers and cross. To south, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2
setoffs. East side has much restored C14 triple lancet with
cusped ogee heads, reticulated tracery and splayed square headed
reveal. South gable has late C14 triple lancet, similar to east
side, with chamfered and rebated segmental headed reveal with
hood mould. West side has stepped plinth and to left, C19
moulded pointed doorway with hood mould and stops. To right, C13
triple lancet with trefoil heads and splayed reveal. Nave north
arcade, late C12, 4 bays, has 3 round piers with chamfered and
water holding bases and square waterleaf capitals. C19 half
round responds with chamfered square capitals. Chamfered and
rebated arches. South side has chamfered stoup to east of south
door, and to east again, C14 transept arch, double chamfered and
rebated, with filleted responds with moulded bases and octagonal
moulded capitals. Low pitched C15 roof, restored, with moulded
purlins and tie beams with floral bosses. Large square corbels
carrying straight and curved brackets. Tower arch, C13, double
chamfered and rebated, with tapered traceried panelled imposts.
North aisle has restored C15 lean-to roof with moulded timbers
and C19 brackets. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and
rebated, with moulded impost, foliate carving, dogtooth and mask
corbel to north, and simple moulded impost to south. Carved and
painted timber chancel screen, rood loft and rood by Comper,
c.1896. Screen has traceried panels, and above, 6 traceried
panels, the outer pair with figure paintings. Above again,
overhanging ribbed canopy and rood loft with carved bressummers,
traceried panels, moulded top rail carrying rood. Above again,
curved overhanging panelled canopy with text, pierced cresting
and angel bosses at corners. Chancel, 3 bays, has on north side,
to east, restored C14 traceried ogee headed aumbry and above,
moulded bracket. East end has sill band and window with stained
glass by Comper, 1896. South side has to east late C19 trefoil
headed double piscina with octagonal shaft, and to its right, C13
chamfered pointed piscina. Window reveal to west has sundial and
effigy of BVM by Comper. South transept has moulded sill band.
East side has to north, C14 chamfered square aumbry with C19
doors. To its left, C19 spiral stair to rood loft. South end
has, to east, damaged early C14 piscina with cusped trefoil head.
To west, cove and roll moulded semi-circular tomb recess, C14,
containing crude C20 effigy. South window has fragments of
stained glass, C14. West side has moulded stone bench. Fittings
include conical font with round base on octagonal plinth, with
carved and inscribed cover. Octagonal skeleton timber pulpit by
Comper. 18 C18 oak benches with moulded square ends and backs, 2
C20 moulded and pierced stalls and desks. 2 C19 hanging lamps,
canopied hanging pyx attributed to Comper, 3 wrought iron
sconces, C20 multiple candle stand and C19 timber lectern with
round stem and traceried brackets and book stand. Square iron
bound poor box, C15, inscribed 'Remember the Poor'. Above south
door, large bracketed organ case with shutters and image of BVM,
painted texts and decoration, by Comper. Monuments include slate
and alabaster Renaissance Revival style wall monument to William
Cardinall, 1598. Square inscribed panel with panelled surround
with rosettes, apron with strapwork and cornice. Central crest
with dentillated base and scroll brackets. Above, round crest
with Arms, rosettes and bosses, flanked by square dice with
quartered Arms. Marble and slate tablet, 1822. 2 benefaction
boards with moulded frames, pre-1823. Brass 1918.

Listing NGR: SK7360168916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.