History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity and Boundary Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Everton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.4143 / 53°24'51"N

Longitude: -0.9613 / 0°57'40"W

OS Eastings: 469136

OS Northings: 391334

OS Grid: SK691913

Mapcode National: GBR PXQY.PS

Mapcode Global: WHFFW.6FHW

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241103

Location: Everton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Everton

Built-Up Area: Everton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Everton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)

4/19 Church of Holy
Trinity and
1.2.67 boundary wall.

G.V. II*

Parish Church, Cll, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1841. Ashlar,
random, coursed and herringbone rubble, brick, rendering,
pebbledash, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, north
aisle and lady chapel, nave, chancel, south chancel chapel, south
porch. West tower, 3 stages first 2 rubble with prominent ashlar
quoins re-cut 1983: upper stone ashlar; 2 moulded
stringcourses, eaves band, moulded crenellated parapet, 2
gargoybles to west. First stage has on south side, above single
round headed unglazed opening; above, clock. To west round
headed chamfered window with hoodmould, 3rd stage has 4 C15 cove
moulded and rebated openings with hoodmoulds, each with cusped
round headed double louvred lancet with Decorated tracery. North
aisle, 4 bays, has to east moulded crenellated parapet, plain
parapet to west above earlier eaves band. East end has eaves
band and single C19 chamfered and rebated opening containing
squat triple Decorated lancet with cusped heads and above, 2
trefoils. North side has to east, C16 square headed cove moulded
and rebated opening containing double round-headed lancet. To
west, C14 square headed chamfered opening with hoodmould
containing restored triple lancet with ogee heads. To west
again, C19 square-headed and chamfered opening with hoodmould
containing double ogee headed lancet with Decorated tracery. All
windows have chamfered mullions. West bay has C20 lean-to boiler
house, white brick, one wall stack. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays,
irregularly coursed ashlar, has moulded eaves band, moulded
crenellated parapet and crenellated gable with cross, 3 C16
square headed chamfered and rebated openings on each side, all
with round headed double lancets with coved mullions. Chancel, 2
bays, has pentagonal apse, 1841, brick pebbledashed semicircular
nodal buttresses with moulded bases and capitals, moulded eaves,
hipped slate roof, 3 round-headed and chamfered windows. Above,
gable with moulded ashlar parapet and cross. South chancel
chapel, 1841, probably brick, pebbledashed, 2 bays, has plinth
and moulded crenellatred ashlar parapet. To east and west ends,
chamfered and rebated reveals with hoodmoulds each containing
triple lancet with double trefoil head. South side has re-set
C14 cusped ogee-headed doorway with ogee hoodmould crocketed
finial and mask stops, containing C19 close boarded door.
Flanked by single C19 square headed chamfered openings with
single cusped ogee lancets with mouchettes, in timber. Nave
south side, 3 bays, herringbone and coursed rubble, has to west,
above south porch C19 square headed chamfered opening with
hoodmould containing cusped head single lancet. To right, C15
square headed chamfered reveal with hood mould containing cusped
ogee headed double lancet. South porch, C14, ashlar, has moulded
plinth, string course, eaves band, moulded crenellated parapet,
coped gable with corner buttresses, crocketed finials and cross.
Single square openings to east and west. Double chamfered and
rebated doorway with moulded gabled hoodmould. Interior has
stone benches, C13 stoup in north-east corner; 3 octagonal
corbels each side; C20 timber roof. Nave north arcade, 2 bays,
C14. Central octagonal pier with moulded octagonal base and
crocketed capital; keeled responds that to east with simple
crocketed capital Double chamfered and rebated arches with
hoodmoulds and central mask stops. Roof c1920, flat with moulded
prinicpal timbers, 3 redundant corbels. Font C19 replica of
Norman original, with interlaced, arcading, zig zag, cable
moulding and other ornament. C19 timber pulpit with traceried
panels, plain timber lectern, chamfered C19 pews with traceried
panels, classical memorial tablets, 1772, 1838, 1843; one
Egyptian style 1844' 4 C20 brasses. Tower arch, Cll restored C19
semicircular with chevron hoodmould. Below tower, round headed
west windows, stained glass,1860 by Wailes; C19 benefactions
board. To south C14 incised slab; to north, classical wall
monument, 1778. Base of original Norman font. North aisle,
rendered. West bay enclosed by matchboard screen to form vestry.
West wall has C18 cast-iron safe door, 2 leaves, each with round
headed panel. Roof 1885 with chamfered timbers. To west, board
commemorating erection of apse and south chapel, 1841; to north,
C20 timber war memorial cross, classical wall tablet 1828.
Plain C19 pews. Chancel arch, C11, semicircular arch, with 2
orders of chevrons, circular imposts with incised block capitals
and moulded circular bases. Chancel north side has single bay
C15 arcade, double chamfered and rebated; to south, C19 single
bay arcade, double chamfered and rebated arch with moulded
octagonal imposts. To north. Classical tablets, 1803, 1805,
1832; to south similar tablet 1792. Chamfered C19 benches and
desks. Apse has double rebated semicircular arch with half
column responds, plain capitals and bases. Stained glass 1876-79
by Wailes. Reredos, early C17 carved panelling with intermediate
figure-carved crocketed buttresses, re-used C19. Altar rail, C18
has 4 tapered rectangular panelled, carved balusters. South
chancel chapel, square plan, rendered and ceiled. Outside,
boundary wall, to church Lane and Church Street. Large re-used
ashlar plinth, brick, triangular ashlar coping. Pair of C19 cast
iron gateposts with flower finials and decorative cast iron
spearhead gates Early C20 wrought-iron overthrow with
decorative domed square lantern.

Listing NGR: SK6913691334

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.