History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II Listed Building in Clumber and Hardwick, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2738 / 53°16'25"N

Longitude: -1.0446 / 1°2'40"W

OS Eastings: 463806

OS Northings: 375621

OS Grid: SK638756

Mapcode National: GBR PZ4L.M5

Mapcode Global: WHFGD.XZQ4

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 1 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241287

Location: Clumber and Hardwick, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Clumber and Hardwick

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Ranby

Listing Text

SK 67 NW WORKSOP HARDWICK TERRACE
(East side)

4/78 No. (40 The Chantry)

G.V. II

Choir school and residence, now house. Built by the Duke of
Newcastle to house the chapel choristers. 1912. Brick with
hipped and gabled plain tile roofs. Ashlar dressings, moulded
first floor band, bracketted eaves. 2 external side wall and 2
ridge stacks. Most windows are mullioned and transomed leaded
casements, some with hood moulds. Balanced west front has
projecting bay to right and 2 shouldered coped gables with
finials. 2 storeys plus attics, 4 bays. West front has moulded
ashlar doorcase with corbelled arched pediment containing
cartouche with the initial To left, canted bay window with
parapet and 3 casements. To right, 2 casements. Above, 4
casements, one through eaves. Above again, flat roofed leaded
dormer, 5 lights. 2 decorative rainwater heads and to left,
datestone inscribed '1912'. North and south sides have single
projecting bays and original irregular fenestration. Mainly
original interior has 2 brick and single ashlar fireplaces.
Outside, original boarded gate with matching curved flanking
fences and domed posts. Included for group value only.


Listing NGR: SK6380675621

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.