This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0333 / 52°1'59"N
Longitude: -2.3004 / 2°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 379489
OS Northings: 237252
OS Grid: SO794372
Mapcode National: GBR 0GN.F74
Mapcode Global: VH93K.25Q3
Plus Code: 9C4V2MMX+8R
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153174
Location: Castlemorton, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
Civil Parish: Castlemorton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Castlemorton
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 73 NE
Church of St Gregory
Church. Early C12 with C13 and C14 additions, arcade re-built mid-C17, restored 1879-80. Stone rubble with tile roofs. Comprises a west tower with stone spire, nave, north porch, south aisle, south transeptal chapel and lower chancel.
The tower has diagonal buttresses with niches and a south-east stair turret. The spire is set back behind an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of a single trefoiled light. The west window is of three trefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. In the west wall of the aisle is a chamfered lancet window.
The north wall of the nave is of three bays: The left-hand window is of one light with low transom and a trefoiled ogee head: The middle window is of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The right-hand window is of three trefoiled lights under a pointed head.
The timber-framed porch, to the right of the second window, is close-studded with a middle rail. The C12 doorway has a round arch with zig-zag ornament, and angle shafts with scalloped capitals: The tympanum is carved with the Agnus Dei.
The south aisle has a three-light C15 window under a pointed head: To its right is a reset doorway similar to the north doorway but with a blank tympanum.
The south chapel has a hipped roof and a three-light south window with cusped intersecting tracery: In the east wall of the chapel is a window of two trefoiled lights: On the south side of the chancel is a window of two cinquefoiled lights under a flat head, and a priest's doorway to the left: In the north wall are two narrow round-headed C12 windows, reset when the chancel was rebuilt during the C19 restoration. The east window is C19 and of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head.
INTERIOR: tall tower arch pointed and chamfered in two orders. The south arcade is of three and a half bays. The arches are pointed and roughly four-centred, chamfered in two orders and springing from piers which are octagonal except for the western one, which is circular: The nave roof has rafters with arch-braced collars. High up in the north wall are two bracketed niches with elaborate carved canopies: The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in two orders which die into the responds.
The font has a bowl carved with acanthus foliage on an octagonal base: In the south transept is a C18 baluster font, and, in the east wall, a C13 piscina with pointed head. The communion rails have flat pierced balusters inscribed: "R H S B 1684. Robert Archer Minister. J B W B 1683".
Listing NGR: SO7948937253
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings