This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0938 / 52°5'37"N
Longitude: -2.5373 / 2°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 363285
OS Northings: 244073
OS Grid: SO632440
Mapcode National: GBR FT.B96V
Mapcode Global: VH85K.YMZR
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153121
Location: Stretton Grandison, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Stretton Grandison
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Stretton Grandison with Ashperton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 64 SW; 5/158
STRETTON GRANDISON CP,
Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C14 rebuilding of earlier C12 structure. C17 porch,
restored mid-C19 with addition of north vestry. Coursed and squared
sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave with
south porch and chancel with north vestry.
West tower: three stages
with diagonal buttressing, embattled parapet and octagonal spire, window
of single trefoiled light to south of second stage, single ogee-headed
lights to vents of belfry stage. Nave: three bays, one window with two
trefoiled ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil to left and two similar windows
to right of gabled south porch with chamfered inner doorway, similar arrange-
ment to north with blocked door. Chancel: two bays, square-headed window
to left with two trefoiled ogee-headed lights, single trefoiled ogee-headed
light to right flanking square-headed doorway with moulded jambs.
C15 trussed-rafter roof, blocked doorway in east wall of nave to former
rood loft with traces of upper doorway also visible; chancel arch of two
chamfered orders, inner dying onto responds. Fittings: restored C14 font,
hexagonal bowl with quatrefoil panel to each facet, plain stem and base.
C15 pulpit, four-sided with trefoiled and cusped heads to panels with
further traceried details. Monuments: Hopton memorial on north wall of
chancel, wall tablet, 1668, sandstone and alabaster broken pediment
supported by twisted columns with Ionic capitals, two central inscription
panels with semicircular heads, further swag and cherub head enrichments,
commemorates Edward Hopton, died 1668, and Deborah Hatton, his second wife
died 1702; south wall of nave, Taylor memorial, wall tablet, 1676, sandstone
enriched border with cherub head commemorates John Taylor, died 1676.
Fragment of wall painting depicting St Christopher above south door.
Listing NGR: SO6328444071
Other nearby listed buildings