This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.318 / 51°19'4"N
Longitude: -1.3292 / 1°19'44"W
OS Eastings: 446847
OS Northings: 157868
OS Grid: SU468578
Mapcode National: GBR 82Y.6SR
Mapcode Global: VHCZX.X46G
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 May 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138033
Location: Burghclere, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Burghclere
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Burghclere with Newtown
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 45 NE
Church of All Saints
Circa 1100, 1200, 1400, C17, restored 1861. Aisleless Norman nave, extended westwards in Early English style, with a north transept of circa 1400, Early English chancel, C17 bell turret at the west end.
Plain tile roofing, pyramid roof to the bell-turret,which has boarded sides. Walling of flint and stone with stone quoins; the transept has flint and stone alternating horizontal bands. There are lancets to the chancel, coupled 'Perpendicular' windows with hood-moulds, simple tracery in the transept and a (restored) west window of plate tracery.
There is a pointed arch to the priest's door, and the north and south Norman doors of the nave remain (though blocked) with scalloped tympanum on the south and a recessed order on detached columns on the north side; the Early English west door has a moulded pointed arch of three orders, with two sets of shafts on each side.
The plain interior has at the west end the arch-braced timber-frame of the bell turret, supported on brackets. The fittings are Victorian except for bench pews of the C16. There is a large classical monument in the chancel (to Anne Eyre, 1748), a wall monument in the nave of 1759, several tomb slabs of the C17 and early C18 period, and two hatchments above the chancel arch. At each end of the church on the south side there projects a mausoleum of extremely plain form, with lead-covered low pitch roofing and fine stone ashlar walling, with slightly-recessed panels.
Listing NGR: SU4777458316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings