This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.085 / 52°5'6"N
Longitude: -2.9164 / 2°54'58"W
OS Eastings: 337305
OS Northings: 243357
OS Grid: SO373433
Mapcode National: GBR F9.BZ2Q
Mapcode Global: VH77X.DVLJ
Entry Name: Monnington Court
Listing Date: 20 February 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150011
Location: Brobury with Monnington on Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Brobury with Monnington on Wye
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Monnington-on-Wye
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
MONNINGTON-ON-WYE CP MONNINGTON-ON-WYE
SO 34 SE
4/52 Monnington Court
House. C14, extended mid-C17, refronted early C18 with some late C20
restoration. Timber-frame clad in coursed rubble with graduated stone
tile roof. H-plan, hall range aligned north-west/south-east. Main stack
lateral on rear wall of hall. Southern cross-wing is C14 of four bays, the
rest C17. South-west front of two storeys with gabled cross-wings, one
plus three plus one windows, all are 2-light casements, save the central
one of three lights, all under segmental brick heads. Ground floor has
one plus two plus one windows, that to left partially blocked by a lean-to
buttress. Next window a 4-light casement and last two of three lights.
Entrance to left of centre has a moulded oak frame, the shaped head carved
with two monsters. The panelled door has incised diamond-shape patterns
in each panel and strap hinges with fleurs-de-lis terminals. Side wall of
southern cross-wing contains a 9-light timber window with mullions and
transom. Interior: the entrance leads into a through-passage. Hall side
of this wall has re-set woodwork, probably from the earlier screen, dated
"T/ TL/ 1656". Includes two grotesque caryatids, two shields of arms, one
supported by two cherubs, the other held by an angel. To left the inscription
"Vive Deo gratus/ toti mundo tumulatus" and to right "Crimin mundatus/
semper transire peratus". The hall ceiling is divided into 24 panels by
chamfered and stopped beams, the six panels to the south end bearing central
geometrical designs with moulded ribs and fleurs-de-lis in the angles.
Fireplace has a moulded three-centred head of stone. Roof of south cross-
wing retains three and a half bays of a C14 roof. The main trusses have
a single strut between the cambered tie-beam and collar. The intermediate
trusses have arch-braced tie-beams. Two tiers of threaded purlins with
a few cusped wind-braces surviving. Room below ceiled in C17. North cross-
wing has two panelled rooms, most of it re-set. The ceiling beams have
deep chamfers. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 152-3).
Listing NGR: SO3730343355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings