This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4162 / 51°24'58"N
Longitude: -2.2819 / 2°16'54"W
OS Eastings: 380491
OS Northings: 168613
OS Grid: ST804686
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q6.5X9
Mapcode Global: VH96G.DNHP
Entry Name: Shockerwick House
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32269
Location: Bathford, Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Bathford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 86 NW BATHFORD C.P. SHOCKERWICK
2/96 Shockerwick House
Country house, now offices and a nursing home. Circa 1750 by John Wood the
Elder of Bath; alterations and additions in 1896 by E. George and A.B. Yeates.
Ashlar; coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings on entrance elevation;
slate roofs behind parapets; cornice; ashlar stacks. 3 storeys and basement
with 2 storey wings (heightened 1896). Entrance (north) elevation: 6 bays;
centre three slightly advanced and centre one further advanced, terminating in
pediment. Glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves; two 2-light
casement windows under cornice to right wing; Venetian window with pediment to
first floor of centre bay and tripartite window above. Plat band above ground
floor. Central panelled door in moulded architrave, under pediment with
armorial bearings and decorative carving in tympanum. Projecting Ionic portico
with 4 columns, dentilled cornice and segmental pediment (George and Yeates
1896). Single storey billiard room projects at east end (1896): gabled with
parapet; 2 blocked round-headed windows. Garden (south) elevation: 2 bays:
2-5-2; centre 5 advanced: 4 giant engaged Corinthian columns to first and
second floors of centre 3 bays; Corinthian angle pilasters to 3rd and 5th bays;
plain entablature, dentilled cornice and pediment over centre 3 bays with
cartouche in tympanum. Outer 4 bays are 2 storeys with partly balustraded and
ramped-up parapet. Glazing bar sash windows; on ground floor in rusticated
recesses, arched to side wings. Central French door. Moulded string above
ground floor of wings, plat band to centre. To left an early C20th (?)
extension: coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roof; 2 storeys and
basement; 7 casement windows with moulded surrounds, windows 2 and 6 are in
projecting 2 storey square bays with pediments. Attached to rear is former
stable blocks: mid - C18th; coursed squared rubble with hipped Cotswold stone
slate roof, parapet and central pediment; 2 storeys; 5 bays, centre 3 slightly
advanced; glazing bar sash and decorative oeuil de boeuf windows; plank doors.
Interior of main block: mostly altered; cantilever staircase, rebuilt C20th;
some original and some reproduction decorative plasterwork; panelled doors;
marble and plaster fireplaces: Billiard room is panelled with balustrade.
Pevsner, N., Buildings of England : N. Somerset and Bristol, 1958.
Listing NGR: ST8049168613
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings