This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.573 / 50°34'22"N
Longitude: -4.7131 / 4°42'47"W
OS Eastings: 207982
OS Northings: 78322
OS Grid: SX079783
Mapcode National: GBR N3.F75T
Mapcode Global: FRA 170K.9MV
Entry Name: Trenewth House
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68553
Location: Michaelstow, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Michaelstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
6/111 Trenewth House
House. 1875 (datestone). Built for J Gatley. Snecked stone rubble with granite
dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with gable ends to front right and left.
Crested ridge tiles. Rendered axial stacks. Lower service range to rear of stone
rubble with slate roof.
Plan: Earlier range to rear comprising circa C18 1-room plan cottage. The house was
built abutting this cottage which then became the service range. House of overall
rectangular plan with entrance in early to mid C20 porch on left. Wide corridor runs
across house from left to right with stair at far right. 3 main reception rooms on
front heated by axial stacks, and overlooking the garden. Earlier cottage to rear
converted in circa 1875 to become kitchen with servants accommodation above.
High Victorian Gothic style.
Exterior : 2 storeys, attic and basement. Symmetrical 1:2:1 window front with hood
moulds to ground and first floor windows. Right and left hand sides set slightly
forward with gable ends; 4-light mullion and transom windows with leaded lights on
ground floor, tripartite sashes on first and triangular headed windows to attic.
Central range has 2 4-pane sashes on ground and first floors. Porch to left rebuilt
in early to mid C20; rendered with flat roof. Stair window in right hand side with
2-centred arched opening. 2-window front to earlier C18 cottage on rear with 12 and
Interior largely complete with moulded cornices, contemporary doors and doorcases,
open string stair and chimneypieces.
Particularly unaltered large Victorian house with complete interior.
Site originally held by family of Trenowth, passing by 1539 to John Brode. In 1725
passed to John Phillips and then to John Gatley. THe old farmhouse, now derelict is
situated in the farmyard to the north.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall 1879
Listing NGR: SX0798278322
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings