This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.085 / 50°5'5"N
Longitude: -5.1198 / 5°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 176915
OS Northings: 25204
OS Grid: SW769252
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.9N9V
Mapcode Global: FRA 085S.F76
Entry Name: Roscadden Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65221
Location: Manaccan, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Manaccan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Manaccan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE MANACCAN
2/62 Roscadden Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa mid C17 parlour wing of C16 house rebuilt in the C20. Painted
rubble and cobwalls, slate sills, wooden lintels. Asbestos slate roof with eaves
heightened C20 and external stone rubble stack at left-hand gable end.
L-shaped plan of parlour, left, with best chamber or solar over, stair well right,
vestibule between parlour and stair and wide shallow room behind stair, probably
originally a buttery, and C20 wing at right angles to front right on the site of the
original C16 house. Built into bank at rear.
2 storeys. 1-window north north east front of parlour, left, and projecting gable
end of C20 wing on right with C20 quadrant porch in the angle between. Original C17
oak mullioned windows survive to ground and first floor; 2-lights of originally 4-
light window to ground floor with C20 glazed door replacing the right-hand lights and
3-lights window to solar over. The ground floor window has ogee internal mouldings
and the first floor window has bowtell moulding. C20 casements with glazing bars.
C20 double top-glazed door to porch.
Interior The parlour wing is fairly complete and little altered since the C17. Deep
ovolo-moulded cross beams with ogee tongue stops in the parlour; wide dog-leg stair
with circa late C18 balustrade with rectangular balusters and a fine plaster barrel
ceiling in the chamber over the parlour with moulded cornices, the feet of the
trusses exposed under an inner eaves soffit and with the lower cornice carried around
them so that they resemble brackets. Original roof structure over not inspected
Roscadden has some documentation: a John Roscadden is mentioned in 1594 and there are
2 references, 1663 and 1679 in the Buller papers. (Information supplied by occupier).
Rare surviving C17 wooden windows, and particularly rare plaster ceiling, but both
these features and the ovolo-moulded beams would have been common in the C17.
Listing NGR: SW7691525204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings