This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1216 / 50°7'17"N
Longitude: -5.3186 / 5°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 162879
OS Northings: 29885
OS Grid: SW628298
Mapcode National: GBR FX7C.BL6
Mapcode Global: VH132.R6MM
Entry Name: Engine House at Sw628298, Ivey's Shaft, Wheal Metal
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65729
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Breage with Godolphin and Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 62 NW BREAGE
7/30 Engine house at SW628298, Ivey's
Shaft, Wheal Metal
Disused beam engine house. Circa 1859. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite
quoins jambstones and lintels with much dressed granite, in places almost ashlar,
especially to the gable end wall and the bob wall. Round brick arches to the 2
principal openings, some timber lintels. The 2 stage chimney has a rubble lower
stage and a brick upper stage.
Rectangular single cell plan with round chimney clasping the west corner, thicker bob
wall at north-east side.
Three storeys over basement but floors and cylinder removed. North-east bob wall has
central large round-headed brick arch to ground floor, blind above and former
weather-boarded upper floor and gable removed. The opposite south west gable end
wall has similar ground floor opening and a smaller square headed opening to both the
1st and second floors. Similar square headed openings to each side wall, the second
floor unpierced. The rubble chimney tapers to a brick collar at ridge level
surmounted by a tall tapered brick shaft with a cornice resembling a Doric capital.
The masonry of this engine house is remarkably complete but fallen timber lintels are
causing some deterioration.
An unusually large engine house. In 1859 the building was fitted with an 1846 Harvey
85" engine, moved from Wheal Vor Trelawney's Shaft, and it is said that the engine
house was also moved stone by stone. It has been suggested that this event was the
origin of the name 'Pulldown'. Work came to an end in the early 1870s and in 1877
the 85-inch engine was removed from the house and despatched to Gateshead Waterworks
where it survived until the 1940s.
Source: Kenneth Brown, council member of the Trevithick Society.
Listing NGR: SW6130028400
Other nearby listed buildings