This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1238 / 50°7'25"N
Longitude: -5.5957 / 5°35'44"W
OS Eastings: 143083
OS Northings: 31045
OS Grid: SW430310
Mapcode National: GBR DXKC.3NH
Mapcode Global: VH05G.Y4MZ
Plus Code: 9C2P4CF3+GP
Entry Name: Roskennals Mill
Listing Date: 6 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69818
Location: Sancreed, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Sancreed
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Sancreed
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 43 SW
Watermill. Probably C18, heightened in the C19. Granite rubble with granite
dressings. Grouted scantle slate roof on 2 levels with gable ends. Brick chimney
over left-hand end.
Plan: Approximately rectangular plan with left-hand part of front wall set back
slightly. Built into bank carrying mill leat on the right and with circa late C19
overshot waterwheel at the middle of the rear. Circa late C19 and C20 machinery.
Exterior: 3 storeys. Irregular north west front with central doorway and another
former doorway (now fitted with window to lower part of front set back on the left).
Some evidence of altered openings. Old or original small window opening to each floor
right of principal doorway. Pigeon holes high up on the left-hand side. Left-hand
end has window to each floor and pigeon holes under the gable window.
Right-hand end has central loading doorway to first floor and window over. Rear has
small opening (possibly for shaft of former waterwheel) on the left with window over
and there is a blocked window opening right of the wheel (lst floor). Complete circa
late C19 wheel with cast-iron hub, (C20) oak spokes, cast-iron segments and wooden
Interior: Floors probably the same date as the older machinery (circa 1890), parts
of roof structure are older. Machinery on the ground floor, with iron wheels and
apple wood cogs, drives a belt to roller mill on the top floor and a pair of stones
on the first floor. There is a coupling after the pit-wheel which can be disengaged
to stop all machinery and there is a sluice which can be opened.
Listing NGR: SW4304931035
Other nearby listed buildings