This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0003 / 53°0'1"N
Longitude: -1.7547 / 1°45'16"W
OS Eastings: 416560
OS Northings: 344807
OS Grid: SK165448
Mapcode National: GBR 48W.TD9
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.0VQ7
Plus Code: 9C5W262W+44
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81379
Location: Clifton and Compton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Clifton and Compton
Built-Up Area: Clifton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 14 SE PARISH OF CLIFTON AND COMPTON MAIN STREET
4/38 (South Side)
Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1845 by Henry Stevens of Derby. Apse and bell turret 1868 by
Slater & Carpenter. Coursed squared rock faced sandstone with sandstone dressings.
Chamfered plinth and moulded eaves band. Banded plain and fishscale tile roofs. Stone coped
gables, cross finial and octagonal corbelled out bell turret, with pyramid roof, on
the west gable. Nave and south porch, two north vestries and chancel with canted
apse. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses and entrance with two orders of
shafts and moulded arch. To the left, a lancet window with trefoil head and hood-
mould. To the right are three 2-light windows with plate tracery and hoodmoulds.
Buttresses between. The Chancel has to the south and north a 2-light window with
geometrical tracery and a larger 3-light window and geometrical tracery to each face
of the canted apse. Moulded stringcourses linking the sills and hoodmoulds. The
north side of the nave has a vestry with hipped roof, circular chimney stack, diagonal
buttresses and three single lancets to the north. Then two 2-light windows corres-
ponding to those on the south side, with a buttress between. Then a gabled vestry
with tall chimney stack, diagonal buttresses and a single trefoiled lancet to north.
Finally a trefoiled lancet corresponding to that on the south side. The eastern-most
windows of the nave are enriched with a roll moulding. The west elevation has two
tall trefoiled lancets either side of a buttress and a wheel window in the gable.
Double chamfered south doorway and plank door with scrolled iron hinges. The nave
has an open arch-braced collar roof. Double chamfered chancel arch on rich foliage
capitals and shafts with shaft rings on corbels. Chancel has richly tiled floor and
mosaic dado. Stained glass in the three apse windows, c1882 by Clayton & Bell.
Stained glass in most other windows, the middle one on the south side of the nave
and the east one on the north side of the nave are of 1868 by Cox & Son of London.
Stone pulpit with blind trefoiled arcading. Octagonal stone font with bold trefoil
motifs on the bowl, standing on a quatrefoil base of a cluster of filleted shafts.
Royal coat of arms dated 1926.
Listing NGR: SK1656044807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings