History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penrose Farmhouse Adjoining Garden Walls, Gate-Piers, Gate and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Sennen, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.0719 / 50°4'18"N

Longitude: -5.6675 / 5°40'3"W

OS Eastings: 137670

OS Northings: 25533

OS Grid: SW376255

Mapcode National: GBR DXDH.6S0

Mapcode Global: VH05M.QG57

Entry Name: Penrose Farmhouse Adjoining Garden Walls, Gate-Piers, Gate and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 15 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158526

English Heritage Legacy ID: 69856

Location: Sennen, Cornwall, TR19

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Sennen

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Sennen

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SW 32 NE
4/318 Penrose Farmhouse adjoining garden
- walls, gate-piers, gate and
Manor farmhouse including adjoining garden walls, gate-piers, gate and adjoining
outbuildings. House on site since the C14 or earlier, present house is C16 and C17,
remodelled in the C18 and C19. Datestone 1668 on parlour fireplace lintel with arms
of the Jones and Lamb families. Some granite ashlar, otherwise granite rubble with
granite dressings. Scantle slate roofs. House roof is U-shaped on plan with hipped
corners where it returns at either end to gable-ended rear wings. Large C17 stone
chimney over rear wall of left-hand room (parlour); a C17 or C18 stone chimney over a
cross wall towards the right and a C19 brick chimney over an approximately central
cross wall.
Plan: Originally probably a much larger plan which has been reduced to a U-shaped
plan plus stables parallel at the rear of a rear courtyard; high walls flank the
front garden and there are the remains of C17 buildings adjoining the left-hand
garden wall. The house is a 4-room plan front range with front axial passage between
the parlour on the left and a large slightly deeper kitchen (now subdivided) with
pantry at rear towards the right; front doorway aligns with rear doorway; behind the
passage is a straight flight stair (left) and a smaller parlour; on the right of the
kitchen is a pantry and a second stair. At right angles behind the left and right-
hand sides of the house are 1-room-plan service wings. The wing behind the parlour
is only accessible to the house on the first floor; the other wing retains C16 or C17
plasterwork from when it was a principal chamber on the first floor and there is a
C16 roof structure over. The parlour has a fireplace dated 1668; in the roof space
over, against the same wall, is the end plaster and cornice surviving from a former
barrel ceiling of what was probably the best chamber in the C17. In the C18 and C19
there has been some remodelling including the rebuilding of much of the front wall,
parts of the rear wall, the left-hand side wall, and there is some reused C17 dressed
granite masonry incorporated in this work.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Nearly symmetrical 5 window east-north-east front with doorway
slightly left of middle. Right-hand windows are wider spaced. Chamfered doorway
with C19 4-panel door and traceried overlight; circa early C19 16-pane hornless
sashes except for horned copy on right of doorway. C17 features in-situ include:
chamfered doorway into rear courtyard; blocked 3-light mullioned window in the rear
wall of the kitchen bay; 2 round-headed doorways in walls to left of front garden
and a sill and jambstone of a former 3-light mullioned window near the round-headed
doorway in the front wall of the kitchen garden. Reused C17 and possibly earlier
masonry includes the head of a 3-light mullioned window in the left-hand wall of the
left-hand rear wing.
Interior: C16 features: Oak roof structure (rear right-hand wing) with threaded
purlins (mostly in-situ), morticed straight collars and probably halved apices (only
one side inspected) and possibly C16 plasterwork depicting an apple tree in chamber
under. C17 features: Granite lintel (only part visible)of fireplace in parlour with
triangular central motif with domed boss, date 1668 and coats of arms of Jones and
Lamb families; remains of plaster ceiling (see plan) in roof space over; some
chamfered hardwood ceiling beams in the kitchen, some beams in rear right-hand wing
decorated with fleurs-de-lys (not visible) and possibly other hidden features. C18
features include some 2-panel doors, otherwise C19 features including: ceiling
cornices in the parlours, panelled doors, and brass pelmets dated 1851 in the best
Adjoining the house are extensive walls with adjoining outbuildings. C17 rear
courtyard wall linking rear right-hand wing with stables and cartshed parallel to
rear of house; high C17 walls flanking the front garden of the house; circa early
C19 low wall returning parallel to the front of the house; high walls surrounding
rectangular kitchen garden on the left of the house with roofless lean-to piggeries
and other outbuildings adjoining these walls. The walls flanking the front garden
have pigeon holes near the top. Stable at rear of house incorporate C17 walls and
some reused C17 masonry. Walls on the left of the front garden have some C17
features in-situ (see exterior). Of particular interest is a moulded socketted stone
on the left-hand wall of the kitchen garden. This stone formerly held a flagstaff so
that it could be seen up the Penberth valley from the sea.
Granite coped front walls of garden has gateway aligned with doorway of house. The
gateway is flanked by granite monolithic piers and there is a good quality circa
early-mid C19 wrought iron gate with a cast-iron balustrade over the top rail.
The Penroses are first recorded at Penrose in 1302. In the C16, a Penrose (the
Squire) drowned attempting to rescue members of his crew when his ship was wrecked.
This son and heir whom he had rescued, was then looked after by the squire's brother,
Jan. The son was unhappy and the relationship with his uncle deteriorated. On the
day of a wolf hunt the boy disappeared and the uncle appeared to be distressed.
Another uncle, Captain William Penrose, later discovered that Jan had paid to have
the boy murdered and that the body was buried under an apple tree. Realizing that he
had been found out, Jan Penrose went to the malt house in the north wing and hung
himself. The chamber in the north wing (formerly the squire's chamber) has
plasterwork with an apple tree, thought to be carried out to commemorate these tragic
events. The room is said to be haunted.
In the C17, Penrose was held by the Jones family. Notable members of the family
were: Francis Jones, who was fined in 1640 for his support of the Royalist cause,
and Hugh Jones, born 1632, and mentioned by Norden, who was a tyrannous Justice of
the Peace.
Sources: From notes prepared by Mrs Sparrow based on numerous sources including:
Viscount Falmouth's estate records; Henderson; Tudor Cornwall by A.L. Rowse; Taylor's
Hearthside Stories.

Listing NGR: SW3767025533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.