This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6749 / 51°40'29"N
Longitude: -0.5325 / 0°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 501571
OS Northings: 198364
OS Grid: TQ015983
Mapcode National: GBR G7H.XX2
Mapcode Global: VHFSJ.Q5CC
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44798
Location: Chenies, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, WD3
Civil Parish: Chenies
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chenies and Little Chalfont
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
TQ 0198 CHENIES CHENIES VILLAGE
22.12.58 Parish Church of
C15, chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. North chapel (Bedford Chapel) added
1556, rebuilt, then enlarged 1906. Church heavily restored and substantially
rebuilt 1861 and 1887. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Two stage west tower
with south-east stair turret, embattled parapet. Four bay nave south aisle. Piers
of 4 shafts and 4 hollows, 4-centred arches and 4-light C15 aisle windows. Arches
on north into Bedford Chapel. Modern chancel arch. Arch into Bedford Chapel with
panelled soffit and jambs, 1556. Stained glass, C16 donor in east window and C14
St Andrew in Bedford Chapel. C16 saint also. Font: Norman enriched tub. Brasses
in nave, C15, C16. Bedford Chapel collection of monuments of the very highest
quality and importance to the Russell family, Earls and Dukes of Bedford.
1. John Russell, 1st Earl 1555 and wife 1559. Tomb chest with effigies.
2. Lady Bridget, 1600, also tomb chest with effigy.
3. Ann, Countess of Warwick, 1604, tomb chest and effigy.
4. Elizabeth, Lady Russell, 1611, tomb chest and effigy.
5. Lady Frances Bourchier, 1612, tomb chest.
6. 2nd Earl, 1619 by William Cure II, tomb chest with effigies.
7. Lady Chandos, 1623, semi-reclining figure on base.
8. 4th Earl, 1641 and wife 1653. Alabaster. Tomb chest with effigies, back wall
with 2 arches and big open pediment.
9. 5th Earl and 1st Duke of Bedford, 1700. Marble pairs of Corinthian columns
with oval portrait medallions between 2 life-size seated figures. Baldacchino
10. 2nd Duke and Duchess. Made 1769 by Joseph Wilton to designs by Sir William
Chambers. White alabaster. Youth and maiden separated by clouds. Putti over.
11. Georgiana, 1858, by Richard Westmacott the Younger. Gothic arch with knobbly
foliage. Praying lady in profile.
12. 1st Earl Russell, 1878.
13. Odo, Baron Ampthill, 1884 by Boehm.
14. 9th Duke 1891, by G E Fox in Jacobean style.
15. Lord Arthur Russell 1892 by Alfred Gilbert in Art Nouveau style.
16 C14 monument to a Cheyne and his wife. Table tomb with effigies, his never
RCHM I 88 MON.2
Listing NGR: TQ0157498363
Other nearby listed buildings