History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trelissick House and Walls Surrounding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Feock, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2161 / 50°12'57"N

Longitude: -5.0325 / 5°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 183755

OS Northings: 39518

OS Grid: SW837395

Mapcode National: GBR ZH.BF9F

Mapcode Global: FRA 08BG.C7T

Entry Name: Trelissick House and Walls Surrounding

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 63362

Location: Feock, Cornwall, TR3

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Feock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Feock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Feock

Listing Text

SW 83 NW FEOCK TRELISSICK

4/19 Trelissick House and walls
28.2.52 . surrounding

GV II*

Large country house and associated walling. Circa 1750 for John Laurence by the
architect Davey (grandfather of Sir Humphrey Davey). Largely remodelled and extended
during the 1820's for Thomas Daniell. Further extended later C19. Stucco over stone
rubble and brick to south and west fronts. Hipped dry Delabole slate roofs above
parapets with stuccoed brick chimneys over partition and side walls.
Plan was probably originally a 2-rooms wide double depth house, surviving within and
to rear (north) of south portico. Single storey wings added early C19 to left (east)
and right (west) of original house, plus left-band side entrance front (west) and
front (south) porticos. Wings later heightened and further wing added to north of
west front and service wings to rear (later partly demolished). Finally solarium to
right (east) of south front rebuilt in present from circa 1930's.
2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical south front is 3:5:3 bays plus 3-bay solarium to
right. Wings flanking portico west front have plinth, wide string, moulded window
architraves, moulded cornice with egg and dart enrichment and plain parapet. Windows
are sashes with glazing bars to first floor sashes. Giant hexastyle Ionic portico
screens recessed 5-window front of original house at lower level. Wide 12-light roof
dormer behind portico is circa 1900 alteration for billard room. Small flanking
dormers. Solarium has central Ionic doorway.
West entrance front is 3:3:2 bays, each group of bays being broken forward from the
left. Tetrastyle Doric portico, with fluted columns and triglyphs to frieze, stands
before middle group of bays, Windows are horned 12-pane sashes except 2 early C19
windows with crown glass flanking doorway within portico. 4 roof dormers with
pediments.
Interior has wealth of early and later C19 panelling, oak and mahogany doors,
window shutters, plaster ceiling cornices and bands. West entrance hall has
panelled walls and plastered ceiling divided into 6 panels with 2 shell roses.
Doorway leading from entrance hall to stair hall is flanked by 2 Doric columns. Oak
panelled stair hall with lantern over has open-well open-string stair with iron
balusters, some with trailing vine and rose decoration. Guilloche moulded bands
under stair, and fine plaster ceiling cornices, with that under lantern enriched with
egg and dart. Stair hall is probably within walls of rear rooms of original C18
house. Front rooms of original house adjoin but remodelled in early C19 with dado
panelling to both rooms. West room has acanthus cornice and trailing harvest ceiling
band. Marble fireplace surround may be reused from C18. New library, formerly
dining room, to east of original house, has chimney piece and doorcases with enriched
pulvinated friezes, cornices with dentils and other detail all in mid-C18 style
possibly inspired by original decoration that had survived in the C18 house until
then. Drawing room to west of original house has much fine detail including deeply
coved cornice and band, mahogany doors with fluted friezes over, and fine marble
chimney piece with caryatids. Circa 1880 silk coverings with stylized plant design
within panels surrounding room. Library, to north of entrance hall has deeply coved
ceiling with double tiers of acanthus leaves, and bead decoration to window shutter
panels. Further good detail to first floor rooms. Room over west room of original
house and adjoining dressing room have possibly original mid C18 ceiling cornices and
therefore retain evidence of the original plan of the house ie. with entrance passage
originally under the dressing room. Adjoining granite coped walling surrounding rear
service area and low coped walls before front.
Much historical and other information kindly supplied by Mr Copeland, present
occupier.
Trelissick is a complicated house with accretions cunningly absorbed to give the
appearance of being original and of one period. Very complete early C19 interiors.


Listing NGR: SW8375539518

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.