This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2275 / 50°13'38"N
Longitude: -5.06 / 5°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 181845
OS Northings: 40867
OS Grid: SW818408
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.ZS19
Mapcode Global: FRA 089F.6K5
Entry Name: Penelewey Barton Farmhouse and Garden Walls to South
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63400
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kea
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 84 SW KEA
2/113 Penelewey Barton Farmhouse and
garden walls to south
Farmhouse and adjoining garden walls to south. 1710 remodelling of earlier house,
for James Mayo. Partly brick front laid to English bond, otherwise slatestone
rubble. Granite sills, flat brick arches and wooden lintels. Half-hipped asbestos
slate roof with modillioned eaves cornice to front and sweeping lower to rear with
central scantle-slated hipped dormer over integral stair turret. Hipped asbestos
slate roof at lower level to right (east). Tall brick chimney over side wall, left,
and further wider brick chimney over cross wall between main part of house and
Originally probably 3 room through passage plan, with upper end, ie. hall and inner
room rebuilt in 1710 to become central through passage plan with reception room at
either side and central stair hall between narrower and shallower integral rear
service rooms. Lower end retained and remodelled as kitchen with enormous hearth
backing onto cross wall.
2 storeys. Overall 4-window south front of symmetrical 3-window part with central
doorway, and 1-window lower kitchen front, right. Main doorway with 6-panel door and
pedimented doorcase is within C20 glazed porch. Ground floor rendered C20 to mid-
floor brick platband. All original 1710 16-pane hornless sashes with very wide
glazing bars with internal ovolo-moulding and original crown glass. One pane to
window over door with John Vivian 1716 scratched on. Lower end, right has original
1710 12-pane 2-light casement, left, doorway, right, and original 16-pane sash over
door. First floor walling stepped back, presumably rebuilt 1710, above first floor
sill level. Further original sash to right-hand side (east) wall first floor with
Hearle 1860 scratched on pane and original casement below. Rear has original tall
sash to stair and 4 original 2-light casements 2 to first floor left of stair, 1 to
right and 1 single-light casement to ground floor left of middle. Wide opening to
ground floor right with later 12-pane 2-light casement. Wide doorway under and
slightly to left of stair window. Brick lean-to laid to English bond with scantle
roof at left. Single storey scantle roofed earth closet with ash house building
adjoins at right-hand end.
Interior survives almost complete from the 1710 remodelling. Doors, mostly 2
panelled with original architraves throughout and moulded plaster ceiling cornices to
reception rooms and chambers including a fine canopied ceiling to chamber over
kitchen, with ovolo and cavetto moulding to upper angle; panelled window shutters and
high dado panelling to middle room. Stair hall has fine circa mid C18 Chinese
Chippendale unequal dog-leg stair with landing balustrade, and moulded handrail
becoming level over newels. It is possible that the main framework of the stair is
original with balusters only replaced with Chinoiserie. Kitchen has C17 chamfered
cross beam with stopped chamfers. Large fireplace with oven to right-hand side;
bacon rack, with close set grid construction, fixed to middle of ceiling, and C18
dresser near door.
Gate-piers and garden wall. Circa 1710. Brick laid to English bond with squared
granite copings with arrow head finials over taller piers.
2 sections of walling running roughly north south with gateway midway and adjoining
house to north. Square-on-plan gate-piers and terminal piers. Short flight of
granite steps within gateway.
Mentioned in 1285 in connection with the Statute of Merton, Rights of access; in 1568
Penelewey Barton was part of Trevilla and Freehold was sought by James Mayo in 1690.
Historical information from Mr Withers, present occupier (1985) who has done a great
deal of documentary research on Penelewey Barton.
This is a very complete 1710 remodelling of an earlier house and particularly notable
for the quality and quantity of the C18 features including its almost complete 1710
fenestration to front, rear and side. These remarkable windows themselves, both
sashes and casements, are very early and well preserved examples complete with most
of the original crown glass.
Listing NGR: SW8184540867
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings