This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4953 / 50°29'43"N
Longitude: -4.8785 / 4°52'42"W
OS Eastings: 195942
OS Northings: 70124
OS Grid: SW959701
Mapcode National: GBR ZQ.PZT3
Mapcode Global: FRA 07NR.C77
Entry Name: Pawton Farmhouse and Garden Walls to Front
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67681
Location: St. Breock, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Breock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 97 SE
3/49 Pawton Farmhouse and garden walls
Farmhouse and garden walls to front. Probably C18, extended in early 1800s, possibly
with earlier origins and reusing material from the earlier manor house. Stone
rabble. Asbestos slate double span roof with gable ends and brick end stacks, the
stack on left projecting.
Plan: Plan altered and the extent of the earlier house is uncertain as it was
heavily remodelled in the C19. Double depth plan with central entrance, 2 reception
rooms on front, stair to rear of passage and kitchen and dairy originally to rear.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front with 16-pane horned sashes and C20
plank door in centre. Asymmetrical rear elevation.
Interior: Early C19 stair with turned newel and stick balusters. In room on rear
right is a reset timber lintel from the earlier manor house with a series of cusped
mouldings, possibly of the C16: the lintel has been reset asymmetrically and has been
truncated on the right.
Slatestone garden wall to front of house comprising high ramped wall on west side of
garden, reducing in height to front (south) and to east.
The parish was taxed under Pawton in the Domesday. Given to the see of Cornish
Bishops, then to the Bishop of Crediton (Kirton) and finally becoming the seat of the
Bishops of Exeter. The manor contained a deer park and in 1283 the Jurymen of Pydar
complained that the Bishop of Exeter had obstructed the public highway at Pawton by
erection of the deer park walls.
Pawton became the property of the Prior of Bodmin and was seized at the Dissolution,
remaining in Crown hands until 1606 when it was granted by King James I to Sir Arthur
Gorges. The manor possessed a court let and there was a prison at Penquain.
Longden, Preb. A Church and Parish of St Breoke with additions by Francis Hodges,
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872,
Listing NGR: SW9594270124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings