This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2482 / 50°14'53"N
Longitude: -5.058 / 5°3'28"W
OS Eastings: 182077
OS Northings: 43168
OS Grid: SW820431
Mapcode National: GBR ZF.YDJY
Mapcode Global: FRA 089C.M9D
Entry Name: Clock Tower and Adjoining Building at Approximately 15 Metres South West of Calenick House
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63417
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kea
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW84SW KEA CALENICK
1045/2/308 Clock Tower and adjoining building approx 15m south west of Calenick 29/12/50 House
Clock tower and adjoining building. Circa 1750. Flemish bond brick with wooden bellcote surmounted by pyramidal scantle roof and weathervane. Adjoining building has scantle slate roof hipped to south. Square-on-plan and adjoining rectangular single-storey building to south. 2 brick stages to tower plus open bellcote. Lower stage, to ground and first floor, has doorway to east and lunette window with traceried glazing to first floor over. Similar but blind lunette to west. Cornice dividing stages. Upper stage is of greatly reduced width with plinth and splayed corners. Small window to south and original clock faces to east and west. Cornice over. Bellcote has moulded plinths to splayed corner posts with spandrel bracing forming 3 sided arches between posts. Moulded cornice over. INTERIOR: is virtually complete with floors and original clock works by Richard Wallis 1756 and bell inscribed William Lemon 1749. Clock weights are of iron slag, and clock hands are of cast iron. Mechanism is similar to long case clock of the period.
There was a smelting works here from 1711-1891, first run by a Mitchell, then a Daniell and later by a Bolitho. A descendent of Mitchell, now living in South Africa, has records of Calenick House left by her great grandfather. (Information from Mr and Mrs Pascoe, Calenick House (1985)). This is a very fine and complete C18 clock tower, and locally extremely important for its association with early iron smelting in Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SW8207743168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings