This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.704 / 54°42'14"N
Longitude: -1.6552 / 1°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 422316
OS Northings: 534379
OS Grid: NZ223343
Mapcode National: GBR JGW1.GK
Mapcode Global: WHC52.K106
Entry Name: The Hall with Outbuilding, and Piers and Wall Attached
Listing Date: 14 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112262
Location: Spennymoor, County Durham, DL16
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Spennymoor
Built-Up Area: Byers Green
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Byers Green
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 23 SW SPENNYMOOR NORTH STREET
(North end, off)
5/61 The Hall with
piers and wall
House, with outbuilding, garden wall and piers. Early C17; upper storeys
altered c.1800. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins and ashlar dressings;
attached rear outbuilding English garden wall bond of varied courses; roof
graduated stone flags, with brick chimneys, and pantiles with stone-flagged
eaves on outbuilding; wall and piers rubble with ashlar dressings. House 3
storeys, 3 bays, with one-storey outbuilding attached to rear at right-angles
on right return; garden wall extends to south from rear of outbuilding.
West elevation of house has side steps, enclosed in stone-coped wall, to half-
glazed double doors on first floor under wood-bracketed hood. Large 2-centred-
arched stair sash above has glazing bars. Outer bays have 2-pane casements in
2-light ground-floor windows, with mullions removed, chamfered surrounds and
floating cornices; large wood-mullioned-and-transomed first-floor windows,
with upper glazing bars,and square second-floor sashes with glazing bars
removed, have flat stone lintels and slightly-projecting stone sills (except
the stair window with stone arch and flush sill). Pyramidal roof has corniced
chimneys near top of side slopes. Returns have similar windows except for
ground-floor French windows inserted on right. Long right wing has blocked
brick-arched round-headed door at left, 2 C20 windows and chimney on rear
gable. Rear of house has central half-glazed door in stone flat-Tudor-arched
surround, with irregular-block jambs. Cornices over flanking 2-light ground-
floor windows, mullions removed; blocked window over door; cross windows in
other bays. Inner return of rear wing has rubble wall with segmental vehicle
arch to bay nearest house. Short stretch of wall attached forms boundary of
garden to lane, and links to blocked entrance with 2 square piers; these and
wall, ramped up to eaves of rear building, have flat stone coping.
Interior of house shows very thick wall across centre, supporting large stop-
chamfered beams in ground-floor rooms; passage from rear door under segmental
arch in this wall; dogleg stair with narrow mahogany handrail on stick
balusters and turned newels. Ground-floor room at rear left has massive stop-
chamfered segmental stone fire arch. 2-panel doors on ground floor, 4-panel
on upper floors. Roof not inspected.
Historical note: in 1713 William Trotter the owner was buried in the garden;
the stone commemorating his death has since vanished, having been used to
block a window in a nearby building.
Source: Whellan, Directory of Durham, 1894.
Listing NGR: NZ2231634379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings