This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6987 / 54°41'55"N
Longitude: -1.652 / 1°39'7"W
OS Eastings: 422523
OS Northings: 533792
OS Grid: NZ225337
Mapcode National: GBR JGX3.4F
Mapcode Global: WHC52.L5J8
Plus Code: 9C6WM8XX+F5
Entry Name: Byers Green War Memorial
Listing Date: 25 April 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433893
Location: Spennymoor, County Durham, DL16
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Spennymoor
Built-Up Area: Byers Green
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Byers Green
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, 1925, with later additions for the Second World War.
The tall granite memorial stands at the junction of Church Street and Hagg Road, opposite the Grade II-listed former National School and Schoolmaster’s House. It comprises a Maltese cross rising from a tapered shaft with moulded foot ring. That stands on a corniced plinth with moulded base. The plinth’s edges are chamfered and the four faces are polished. There is a low grill at the front of the base to hold wreaths against the memorial. The whole is raised on a low stone step, enclosed by an iron rail.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ BYERS GREEN/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 -/ “THEIR BODIES ARE BURIED IN PEACE,/ BUT THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”
The First World War names are listed on either side of the plinth. The Second World War inscription on the rear face reads 1939 – 1945/ (9 NAMES)/ “THEIR SEED SHALL REMAIN FOR EVER AND/ THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUT.”
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.
Byers Green war memorial, by Messrs Lowes of Durham, was unveiled on 12 April 1925 by Dr T A Beresford Kane JP and dedicated by Reverend F E Loxley. It commemorates 39 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The memorial cost £330, raised by public subscription and through fund raising events. Following the Second World War the details of nine men who died in that conflict were added and the memorial was re-dedicated on 6 June 1948 by Reverend R Cartwright. At that time the memorial was re-furbished by William Allison and Sons at a cost of £175, completing works which could not be afforded in 1925.
Byers Green War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Church Street and Hagg Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed former National School and Schoolmaster’s House.
Other nearby listed buildings