This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5898 / 54°35'23"N
Longitude: -1.0817 / 1°4'54"W
OS Eastings: 459436
OS Northings: 522015
OS Grid: NZ594220
Mapcode National: GBR NHWC.LF
Mapcode Global: WHF80.CW4Q
Entry Name: Bastion 100 Metres North West of Kirkleatham Hall Farm
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60330
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Electoral Ward/Division: Dormanstown
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkleatham
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 52 SE
4/74 Bastion, 100m north-west
23.6.52 of Kirkleatham Hall Farm
Bastion, early/mid C18, as garden ornament and for defence against threat of
invasion by French privateers. Adapted for defence in World War II.
Dressed sandstone; brick internal vault. Gothick style. Short tapered
circular tower. Round openings, with mock cannon-barrel surrounds in square
recesses, in north and east sides, that in west side altered to horizontal
gun slit. Doorway in south side. All openings now blocked. Corbel table
supports projecting parapet, originally embattled, but merlons and
embrasures now missing. Flat paved roof with surrounding benches. External
stair and bridge/porch, adjoining south side, now partly demolished.
Interior has segmental-vaulted ceiling. Originally linked to bastion 150m
to north-east, by ha-ha wall (now partly demolished or obscured by forestry
works). Boundary wall adjoining west side is not of special interest.
Disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: NZ5943622015
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings