This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1638 / 50°9'49"N
Longitude: -5.2968 / 5°17'48"W
OS Eastings: 164642
OS Northings: 34505
OS Grid: SW646345
Mapcode National: GBR FX97.VZ4
Mapcode Global: VH12X.44MS
Entry Name: Glebe Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65861
Location: Crowan, Cornwall, TR14
Civil Parish: Crowan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crowan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW CROWAN CROWAN
4/153 Glebe Farmhouse
Rectory, used as farmhouse since the C19. Circa late C17 or earlier, some later
extension and remodelling. Granite rubble walls, the front and ends rendered.
Scantle slate roofs with gable ends, some C17 hand-made crested clay ridge tiles.
Brick chimneys over gable ends plus later axial chimney over cross wall towards
right; the right hand chimney rendered and over a large external stack.
Plan : present plan has 3 rooms along the front, 2 shallow gable ended wings behind
the middle, deeper lower gable ended wing behind the left hand room, outshut with
shallower roof pitch and small gable ended projection behind right hand room plus a
lean-to: behind the middle gable-ended wing. A cross passage is between the left hand
room (now a parlour) and the middle room (originally an unheated service room); the
stair hall is in the wing behind the middle room and the right hand room is the
present kitchen. The other rear wings and lean-tos are unheated service rooms. The
present stair is circa late C17-early C18 and at that time the house probably
comprised the 3 front rooms, the stair wing and the left hand rear wing, and the
cross passage was probably a through passage. The 1679 Glebe Terrier description
gives : a hall, a buttery, a little room in the buttery, a little room in the kitchen
a dairy, 3 chambers and a study. Very similar to the present accommodation.
2 storeys. Overall regular 4-window front. The windows are C19 12-pane sashes and
later replacements with horns, except for a horned 16-pane sash in the wider ground
floor left hand window. The wide doorway with 4-panel top-glazed door is under the
2nd from left 1st floor window; the window of the middle room and of the chamber over
are spaced quite near the doorway.
At: the rear of the stair wing, quite low down lighting the space under the 1st
landing, is a single light chamfered granite window. Stair sash has marginal panes.
Interior partly inspected : circa late C17 open-well stair with closed moulded
string, column-turned balusters (some of them inverted), complex moulded hand rail
and ball finials over the newels; old doors, at least one C18 2-panel door, the
original floors and probably roof structure and an intact plan.
This is an unusually unaltered former C17 rectory. A new vicarage was built on a
different site (1888) and this house is little altered since then.
Listing NGR: SW6464234505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings