This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6848 / 50°41'5"N
Longitude: -4.4664 / 4°27'59"W
OS Eastings: 225863
OS Northings: 90135
OS Grid: SX258901
Mapcode National: GBR NF.6BKK
Mapcode Global: FRA 17J8.HRB
Entry Name: Winnacott Farmhouse and Garden Wall to Front
Listing Date: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160463
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67985
Location: North Petherwin, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: North Petherwin
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: North Petherwin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 29 SE
4/89 Winnacott Farmhouse and garden wall
- to front
House and garden wall to front. Probably C16, partly remodelled in 1668 (datestone)
for the Chapman family and extended in the early C20. Rendered and painted stone
rubble and cob. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble axial stacks.
Plan: Original plan uncertain. The ground rises to right and the house is built
down the slope. 3-room and through passage plan with entrance to left of centre;
lower end on left heated by end stack, hall heated by axial stack backing onto higher
side of passage and inner room parlour to right heated by axial stack on higher side
of hall. Stair projection to the rear of the hall, close to the axial stack,
providing access to the chambers above the hall and lower end. The house appears to
be probably C16 although the evidence for this early date is limited. There is a
round headed timber doorframe of the circa C16 to the passage rear doorway. The
house was probably thoroughly remodelled or partly rebuilt and reroofed in 1668,
contemporary with the plasterwork in the inner room parlour and chamber above. The
roof structure above the hall comprises two trusses, one well jointed indicating that
the hall chamber roof was exposed and of good quality. The slight sooting on this
truss is probably the result of a smoking chamber fireplace. The jointing of the roof
trusses of the inner room (parlour) chamber is much rougher, the roof having been
concealed by the plaster ceiling. The jointing of the lower end roof is also rough.
The lower end being of lesser status and the sooting of the trusses was probably the
result of a service funcion. However, the sooting on the lower side of the cross
wall to the rear of the axial hall stack may possibly be evidence that the C16 house,
before the remodelling of 1668, was open to the roof.
There is evidence from within the roof space that there was a shallow projection to
the rear of the inner room and it is possible that the early C20 extension to the
rear of the hall and inner room may be on the site of an earlier wing.
Exterior: Long low 2-storey house with ground rising to right. Asymmetrical 5
window front. Entrance to left of centre with cranked chamfered timber doorframe
forming depressed 2-centred arch with scratch moulding around edge. Studded oak rear
door to through passage probably C16 of double construction in early probably late
medieval round headed timber doorframe encased in C19 or C20. Lower end to left with
C20 glazed porch and 3-light casement. 3-light casement and double C19 sash to
right. First floor; to left two C19 2-light casements with C17 chamfered timber
lintels, probably with run-out stops. Three early C19 16-pane sashes to right. The
left hand gable end has been truncated, the ground floor outshut indicating the site
of the original end wall. Owners state that a door opening was discovered in the
higher right hand gable end, now blocked.
Garden wall to front; low stone rubble wall with wrought iron railings; the stiles
looped up over the top of the rail with knobed finials.
Interior: Through passage flanked by thick cross wall containing hall stack on right
and timber boarded partition on left, probably in position of oi"-overing earlier
screen. The lower end is heated by an end stack with roughly cut granite jambs and
has circa C17 chamfered floor joists. The hall is heated by an axial stack, the
fireplace partly blocked and a Rayburn stove inserted; the ceiling is plastered. The
inner room parlour has a fine plaster overmantle with strapwork decoration and the
initials of Diggory and Joan Chapman with date 1668. Plaster ceiling. Stair
projection to rear of hall near axial hall stack with blocked opening from hall. The
stair appears to have been replaced although the oak door frame to the chamber above
the lower end and remains of oak doorframe to the chamber above the hall are C17,
chamfered with stepped and tongue stops. However, although the doorframes are well
finished, the piercing of the cross wall on the higher side of the passage to enable
access from the stair projection to the chamber above the lower end is far rougher.
Fine quality plaster overmantle to principal chamber above inner room parlour with
strap work decoration probably contemporary with the overmantle below. Remains of
coved ceiling with moulded cornice continuing around the feet of the principals which
project below the ceiling.
Roof structure: Lower end with 3 trusses with carpenters marks, the principals with
halved, lapped and pegged X apices and the collars halved, lap-jointed and pegged.
Roughly cut common rafters and chamfered trenched purlins all with evidence of
possible sooting. The lower gable end wall has been partly reduced and the first
truss now marks the end of the roof. The cob wall on the lower side of the axial
hall stack is sooty.
Hall: 2 trusses, with halved, lapped and pegged X apices. The lower truss has a
collar with a halved splayed dovetail joint with trenched purlins and is possibly
Inner room: 2 trusses with X apices and halved lap-jointed and pegged collars of
rougher finish than hall roof.
Listing NGR: SX2586390135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings