This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6471 / 51°38'49"N
Longitude: -0.8048 / 0°48'17"W
OS Eastings: 482794
OS Northings: 194933
OS Grid: SU827949
Mapcode National: GBR D4W.MCK
Mapcode Global: VHDVY.0VDP
Entry Name: The Mausoleum
Listing Date: 9 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46141
Location: West Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: West Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: West Wycombe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1763-4, designed by John Bastard the Younger of Blandford. Hexagonal tall flint rubble wall ashlar dressed with entablature and panelled parapet surmounted by stone urns grouped in threes at angles. Exterior has attached stucco Roman Doric columns under entablature with triglyphs, guttae and urn reliefs to frieze, modillioned cornice.
Interior, unroofed, has wall monuments, one with figure sculpture early C18, and central 1769 monument of urn on pedestal under Roman Ionic stone canopy. Arches, bricks and rectangular openings to walls. Wall inscriptions to Sir Francis Dashwood, Lord Le Despencer, and friends.
Church of Saint Lawrence and the Mausoleum form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8278894917
Other nearby listed buildings