History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeen House

A Grade II Listed Building in Soham, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3339 / 52°20'2"N

Longitude: 0.3376 / 0°20'15"E

OS Eastings: 559370

OS Northings: 273218

OS Grid: TL593732

Mapcode National: GBR N8P.N5W

Mapcode Global: VHHJM.SLVP

Entry Name: Aberdeen House

Listing Date: 17 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160757

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48850

Location: Soham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Soham

Built-Up Area: Soham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Soham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Soham

Listing Text

TL 5973
13/39

SOHAM
CHURCHGATE STREET(East Side)
Nos. 2 and 4 (Aberdeen House)

GII
House, formerly White Hart Inn, early C16, converted into two shops in C19 or early C20.Originally an open hall with floor and hearth inserted probably late C16 or early C17.The rear range was added early in C17 and the front to the street was remodelled in C19.Timber framed, plaster rendered with a steeply pitched cement tile roof with ridge stack.Two storeys.Three flush frame hung sashes of twelve panes each. C20 gabled oriel window above carriageway at right hand. C.1840 doorcase of fluted pilasters with dentil cornice.Late C19 or early C20 architraves to two shop fronts. Rear range, C.1630 also timber framed and plaster rendered.Three bays and narrower stairbay and two storeys and attic.Later fenestration but original doorcase and door with iron fittings. Interior. Little of the original framing is visible, but three bays of the original crown-post roof remain intact.One crown-post is smoke blackened, has a plain unmoulded head and bracing from the post to the collar purlin.Two other crown-posts have a single brace to the collar purlin and are not smoke blackened.There is a vacant mortice in the last crown-post at the left hand indicating that the building originally extended to the north west.Rafters are halved and pegged at the apex and joined by collars also halved and pegged.The rear range has a newel staircase and two inglenook hearths.


Listing NGR: TL5937073218

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.